Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #19
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tournament Round 4 Files

my thoughts:

A Happy Day in Funtown
- song: Such a weird song, but I dig it. Basically happy-go-lucky ragtime music with random unrelated genres interrupting the song.
- chart: The chart is basically asking D1 players to work on sightreading abilities and not to rely on any sort of defined rhythm. Fun and tricky. Good file hi19!

This Will Be The Day (James Landino’s Magical Girl Remix)
- song: Is this song supposed to be a reference to some sort of anime or show? There's a music video with a bunch of characters for what looks like some sort of cartoon. Anyhow, interesting nu disco beats that I didn't really expect to hear from KgZ. I like this.
- chart: Well-balanced file and has a bit of variety; nice stuff but not much else for me to comment on.

Heartache
- song: Undertale stuff. Not one of my favorites but still a nice song. Not much else to say.
- chart: Take note tournament players - you will benefit from the Halved Noteskin option on the R3 engine for this file in particular. I didn't find the file all that bad...I can't even say it's too intense for the song. The file is far more straightforward than the previous round for D3. The notable exceptions would be one 32nd pattern halfway through (involves a hand in the middle of the 32nds) and the 12th jacks in two sections.

PrayStation
- song: Techno stuff. I had no clue this song was in VOEZ. If people are familiar with the song because of that game, take note that this was originally a BMS song.
- chart: I never envisioned this song to be so jacky, but it works. I find this file easier than the previous round for D4 but jacks have traditionally been viewed as a more difficult skill set and I suppose I'm better at executing these patterns. The 24th wobbles 2/3rds through the song is so weird...probably the only part of the file I didn't like.

Galaxy in Toybox [Heavy]
- song: Well you've heard it before! Probably one of the very few chiptune songs I've stepped.
- chart: The 32nd bursts were actually harder before I had to make corrections on them. Hope you guys enjoy the variety going on here. Huge step up from the D4 song IMO.

The Scales of Strangeness
- song: This sounds like stuff I'd hear from a Newgrounds composer. i.e. rather uneventful
- chart: Good chart with well-placed arrows forming relatively smooth streams. I suck too much at this game now to call it "buttery smooth." ugh

Ongaku -kaiongaku mix-
- song: Technically "Ongaku" means "music", so Music (for Kirby) is actually Ongaku (for Kirby). Both songs here is in part a tribute to the original Ongaku song from Pop'n Music, infamous for being one of the game's hardest charts. The remix is very typical of LeaF, and unfortunately to me that usually translates to "dull."
- chart: Yeah, unlike Music (for Kirby), there's no grand finale, although I suspect it's supposed to be the very fast speedup right near the end, which is frankly easier than nearly everything else. Make no mistake though, this is a lot harder than that other song, though it technically does not present any sort of significant difficulty spike.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote