View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #119
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: FFR Community Pack Summer 2012 Released

played hardest chart unless I state otherwise

20th Century Boy - stepped too rigidly when there are lots of small variations in the songs that could have made for a pretty interesting chart. that said, pattern choice was smart and I still enjoyed this despite it being generic

532nm - very very well done. excellent use of jacks and mines (gasped at the long chain of mines going to the snares) to accentuate the song. only downside is that pattern choice could have been more creative and certain transitions play awkwardly because you're too concerned with consistency to give yourself some leeway. it's fine to layer some things inconsistently or even leave them out as long as the player feels that it's natural. small complaint because this file's still quite fun

Abstract Art - both charts express the song well and are fun to play. some jacks play too rigidly

Acchi de Kocchi de - this is fun at parts but awkward in others; the quads seem like overkill and some of the rhythms you layer cross over in uncomfortable ways. freeze usage and mine usage was great. I think this could have benefitted from a cut.

Activation Synthesis Theory - played Heavy. incredible file for scoring, if really messy. I'd have stepped this almost completely differently, but that's more a matter of personal preference; this is extremely thorough and well-crafted.

Advent of Purinpu - simple but pretty fun. patterns are, in typical Scylaax fashion, flowy but incomprehensible, but who really cares?

AVALON - literally the only things I can say are that the mines in the big chorus feel a bit arbitrary and that I wanted freezes for the horns. the rest is A++ and I want leonid's babies

okay now I'm kinda sick of playing these in a row time to find random files

Battlejam - seriously tense file, keeps you on your toes throughout. really fun

BONAMANA - by far the best thing I've played from you, Raine. flows very well and the little pockets of jacks/mines bring the song out. green notes are a bit of a stretch. pleasant surprise, all in all.

Breaking Through The Gate - this is the kind of file only wc can pull off. a delight from beginning to end. love the song and every element of it is drawn out so well here.

Charging Swarm of Mouseketeers - damn alex. very enjoyable file.

Checking You Out - such a weird way to step this but I think it works quite well. some of the overlapping vocal+instrumental stuff you captured was really effective. one caveat is that you didn't capture much of the percussion, but I think you got the gist of this song with this file. chill and pretty enjoyable.

DON'T HIT THOSE MINES - people who hate the mines will hate this. this is basically Necro's Traces on crack. that said, I'm a sucker for a nice buildup and I enjoyed this--that is, until I failed. wonder if the easy difficulty is any better?

El Perdedor - tbh, didn't enjoy this much at all. feels ridiculously overstepped and the bursts, while fun, don't fit with the chill vibe.

EXE - there's a noticeable effort to bring out the piano in this, which I appreciate a lot, but I think you could have gone even farther. maybe switching those minifreezes over into green notes or applying some liberal use of mines would have helped. that said, I still enjoyed this quite a bit; a great update on a old classic that manages to be varied and interesting throughout.

will play more later, but excellent pack so far.

EDIT:

Grave Consequence - holy shit Gundam

Poseidon - this was incredibly fun hahaa. old-school done right. might be one of my favorite files so far actually

RAMUA - this song has been lacking a good file for years now, and this delivers for the most part. that said, I'm still slightly underwhelmed...there's a real elegance to this song that I don't feel this file fully expresses. could be better, but still pretty good

Last edited by moches; 06-23-2012 at 01:07 AM..
moches is offline   Reply With Quote