View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #94
Wind0ze
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Among other identifying features, (such as having a shit broken engine) this site has historically identified itself by having well-synced, high quality files available for everyone to compare themselves with. Dumps like vROFL were always very clearly separated from the actually good charts. That's been the site's niche. Now it won't be.

I'm noticing a majority of people don't care, so whatever. I'm not going to piss into the wind too much. Fuck the site's original vision, we're evolving here! Backwards.
I guess the site's new identity is... worse osu!mania? Certainly some big names like AJ thought that and acted accordingly. Or have we been there for a while and I just didn't bother to notice lmao
Most charter's idea of a modern quality dump chart has nearly complete overlap with what makes a conventional chart good, with the exception of the notion that each note must correlate with the attack of one sound as Wiosna said before. Layering, pitch relevancy, pattern motifs, difficulty balance, and everything else that one would usually consider is something that is considered in a good dump chart. Equating every dump chart to vROFL on the grounds that both don't follow the singular difference between these two charting styles is akin to equating every conventional file with that one joke file Stargroup made where he put 64th jacks to Amber Shores because both follow the "Assign notes to attacks only" rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
The identity of having well synced high quality files can't be maintained with the inclusion of dumps. They are literally defined by not being synced. That's the assertion I made to argue that dumps shouldn't be in the main song list. Read.
Unless I'm missing some sarcasm / joke here, you didn't really post anything to back up the assertion that these files should be in the main song list.
The 1:1 association of notes to rhythms in a chart is a concept that becomes increasingly irrelevant the higher the speed of the chart is. Nobody playing a T11/devnull/whatever chart is processing the 25+ KPS rainbow bursts to garbled cacophonies of sliced drum samples as a series of individual notes that form a rhythm, both the pattern and the sound itself are perceived as one entity, with the characteristics of the pattern correlating to aspects of the collective sound formed that have nothing to do with what rhythm is actually being played at over a tempo far faster than anyone can actually distinguish the individual notes. By acknowledging this perception and applying it to other sounds that are characterized more by aspects such as frequency and timbre rather than rhythm (Dubstep wubs, vocals, etc.), dump charts can be constructed in a way that is just as contingent on what the music is currently doing as conventional charting, if not more. It is this perspective on dump charting that I think FFR has been gravitating towards, and I think it makes sense as it's just an extension of how players already perceive harder charts. The inclusion of dumps into FFR does not necessarily have to compromise the site's focus on charts with a strong association to the music, as long as dumps are evaluated with the expectation of an approach like this.
Wind0ze is offline   Reply With Quote