Old 03-7-2023, 10:21 PM   #8
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: owo tappies [Pack Release]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'm just gonna give some passing thoughts on LOOKING at some files, one was on purpose, the other two are completely just what seemed like it might be interesting.

Koi No Uta - Consider this super biased, as I already charted this myself. Your file has structure issues, based off the missing jumps in the intro section. (See 11.351 for an instance of what I'm talking about precisely.) I get the idea is that your file is trying to build intensity as the long builds layers, but it more begs why you'd not just ignore it in favor of just adding the bass jumps to keep it the same somewhat later. I also think instances like 35.726 would be better as a mine to differentiate from the echo vs the actual vocal. It's not AWFUL, but I wouldn't give it a passing grade either. This song is super cool because of the neat intricacies you could call out with some pattern changes, even here in the ending JS.

The Maiden - I loathe hold-centric work, but if you changed this song to be hold patterns with mine dodge put in, this file would slap in that intro mine part, but you do use this idea, in what I'd say is the wrong place personally, at 53.056. Except make them longer holds. Etterna isn't osu, there's no pull off penalty, but if you wanted to emulate that, your mine dodge idea would do that wonders. 1:06.298 has a lot of omitted notes that give you're saying this is supposed to be a mine dodge file, should have those omissions via mines. 1:19.539 section has a lot of, for lack of a better phrase, careless patterning and omits the stated intentions of the file. There's a lot of gripes I have with this file, but I totally like the idea, and think the song's a banger.

Fucking Machine - Probably the best of the files I looked at, but it has issues with consistency, there's a few mini jack patterns that lead to spots like 2:11.348 being out of place because it's not like, just alternating two note minijacks. So like [12] [12] [34] [34]. Intro is missing something to make it not cut-worthy. Lots of minor stuff could be updated here to make something more solid.

Would probably rate these in like a 5 / 5 / 6 set of scores.

Would like to iterate I'm not trying to shit on the pack, nice job making and releasing stuff, really. You've got some cool picks for stuff that could make some diverse super cool content. Hope to see more around sometime.
If you look at these files too closely / critically, you might as well be staring into the void. That being said, your criticisms are valid, particularly in the case of Koi No Uta.
I played it pretty fast and loose with layering in general- with the primary goal being to deliver a particular experience to the player for any given file. I was pretty quick to forsake layering consistency between sections if and when the layering schemes stopped being convenient. such as Koi no Uta where the beginning is deliberately watered down and the ending is heavy handed. In the creation of this pack, i considered a file done when someone said they enjoyed playing the file. I had fun making them and I hope people have fun playing them. simple as that.

That being said, I think its funny that F***ing machine was one of the 3 files you chose to give feedback on, sorry Koi no Uta didn't meet your expections, and sorry the maiden was lazy in execution.

Last edited by Lights; 03-7-2023 at 10:22 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote