Thread: [Concluded] 2nd Official FFR StepCon!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #1067
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2nd Official FFR StepCon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
I will disagree with hi19 for one thing, and that's the elimination structure -- the fact of the matter is that the competition had a large number of entrants (87, to be precise), and the cuts were done evenly based off of the number of people assigned to each rounds. This isn't unfair to do -- in fact, it would be more unfair to cut based off of the number of submitters if the group turnout is higher than another group; as an example, if 4/17 submit of one group submit and 16/17 submit in another, it wouldn't quite be fair to eliminate anyone in the first group if half are supposed to go on in both rounds, because half would be 8 and 8. This somewhat correlates with hi19's point about generally low file quality -- as a moderately to moderately-strict judge in batch judgments, I can very honestly say that I would not have accepted a large majority of the competition's files.
I agree with hi19 and disagree with this. There is no inherent reason for half of each group to necessarily advance. Competitors from all groups will just be reshuffled next round into new random groups; each group won't further subdivide. The only possible problem with this would be an extreme scenario such as only two or three submitting, and the scores being something like 8/8/7 or 8/7, where everyone performed adequately and doesn't deserve elimination. However, the inverse of this already happens when elimination cutoff counts those who do not submit: people with as low as 3 or 2 being able to advance when they deserve elimination while people with higher scores in other groups are eliminated.

And as a plus, with more eliminations per round, there is less labor involved in the latter rounds as group sizes quickly shrink, which ensures that judgements can be completed timelier, and with more detail to notes for each file which is more important when relative quality becomes more similar. Logically, there is no reason for there to be 3, 2, or 1/10s to get through the second round, and with the structure that was used, there was no strong sense of elevation of quality between the first and second round, which is what the process of elimination should produce. To put it bluntly, having also been a judge for the first two rounds myself, there was a negligible difference of quality between round 1 and 2 which invalidates the reasoning behind there even being rounds in the first place.

Last edited by ilikexd; 09-28-2014 at 09:56 PM..