View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 9th (and 10th?) Official Tournament -- D7 (and others?) Format Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
I'd hate for there to be a situation where someone in D1, for example, really pushes himself to improve throughout the first four weeks of the tourney to the point where he's low SDG'ing the round four song, but his chances of getting through to round 5 is miniscule given really poor first and/or second round score(s). These scores would've barely made it past the elimination threshold for each round if the tourney had followed that format all along, but cumulative scoring up until that point destroys his chances of continuing to round 5 onwards.
What if instead of having a deadline for each round, any of the songs scores could be improved until the cumulative rounds ended? That way if lower division players did strive and improve themselves throughout the weeks of the tournament, they could attack a song from a previous week to represent their current skill. Then there would be no chance a player who skill boosted would be negatively impacted by prior round scores they could improve at their current state.

It also has some additional benefits like:
- Helping reduce the huge chunk of people who end up blowing off the tourney for one reason or another, by allotting them more time for prior songs.
- Giving newer players a greater amount of time to be acclimated to the tournament environment, and getting their barrings.
- A greater incentive to improve, and get the best possible scores you can (because you are never safe unless you AAA this way, since scores in the cumulative rounds could be improved throughout)
- I would also imagine the greater improvement incentive would raise competitive spirits as well

I know this would essentially make "rounds" in the cumulative phase arbitrary though, but it's just a thought. This also has nothing to do with the elimination portion of the tournament. What would be problematic with something like this?