Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Teach me CS stuff for interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
Read Introduction to Algorithms

You should know what data structures to use for certain problems right away, and the efficiencies of them in Big-O notation
Master basic sorting algorithms; know the efficiencies for best, average, and worst cases in Big-O

You should be able to write simple codes on a whiteboard
Know how to code in C (or C++), JAVA, and Python

Learn some OOP; Know how to plot starter classes to solve complex problems. Learn about inheritance, encapsulation etc etc

Read aloud anything that goes through your mind while solving a problem. If you are on the right track, interviewer will mark that positively. If you aren't, interviewer might add subtle hints to help you out

If in doubt, shout "HASH TABLES" and you will probably be right

If you have mentioned your previous works on your resume, interviewer might ask you about them.. Be prepared to briefly talk about it. If those are too old for you to be recalled, just get rid of them (interviewers hate long-ass resumes i.e. more than two pages)

Resume less than one page

I have intro to algs (third edition, nickname is CLRS iirc?) but it's so effing verbose and 10000x longer than it needs to be. Having a hard time figuring out how to study from it. Feels like it can be condensed to maybe 100 pages max.

Ask some random questions (tomorrow or sth) maybe, and I'll try to answer without using external sources

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-12-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote