View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: What happens to your data after you die

Quote:
Originally Posted by sff_writer_dan View Post
But I mean like...things like logins and passwords aren't real property so you can't transfer them to somebody else. You can -basically- do it, you just do it by like...putting the information into a physical form and then willing the physical object to the person.

You can't leave "Your FFR account" to your kids because it's not an actual -thing-. And I would think that if you gave the logins and passwords to somebody else who used it after you died, places like WoW could actually have grounds to argue that their license to access their services wasn't transferrable by you to somebody else.

If a social media account is a component of a company, and you were the owner of the company, and you gave control of the company to somebody in your will, then yeah the social media account would be included as part of "owning the company" but I'm not entirely sure you could classify it as an asset in itself.

Basically everything to do with the internet is fraught and nonsense, and the established law is lagging years behind it though, so who knows where it will all end up.
There are actual cases of people utilizing a "cyberwill" to accommodate for splitting of accounts, data and online information in an estate. It can be argued that logins/passwords aren't a property, but the content locked behind those logins/passwords very well could be, since it can be anything between a neopets account to a youtube influencer account.

Also agree that you would have to check ToS of any accounts you include in a "cyberwill" to make sure that doing such a thing would not violate the guidelines of owning the account.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote