View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Default Re: What happens to your data after you die

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
It's pretty reasonable nowadays to have online/internet information drafted into a will and have some level of split of who gets access to what after you die, and it's fairly common nowadays with celebrities or high priority figures. I think music labels and social media accounts for singers/music artists were some of the first to get internet information the legal treatment, so I don't really see any difference here besides the amount of attention one gets over the other.

I would go so far as to say that if some information online was important enough to be considered a 'business', you could essentially leave that 'business' to some other person and they can decide whether or not to undertake that or leave it to some other person. After all, 'what they decide to do with it is up to them'.
But I mean like...things like logins and passwords aren't real property so you can't transfer them to somebody else. You can -basically- do it, you just do it by like...putting the information into a physical form and then willing the physical object to the person.

You can't leave "Your FFR account" to your kids because it's not an actual -thing-. And I would think that if you gave the logins and passwords to somebody else who used it after you died, places like WoW could actually have grounds to argue that their license to access their services wasn't transferrable by you to somebody else.

If a social media account is a component of a company, and you were the owner of the company, and you gave control of the company to somebody in your will, then yeah the social media account would be included as part of "owning the company" but I'm not entirely sure you could classify it as an asset in itself.

Basically everything to do with the internet is fraught and nonsense, and the established law is lagging years behind it though, so who knows where it will all end up.
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote