View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 11:53 PM   #14
HBar
2020 Returnee
FFR Veteran

Default Re: I know in order to get better I need to practice practice practice, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kof_zpt View Post
Thank you for the reply and tips!
I have my four keys as: DFJK.
I don't know what AAAs or FCs are but I assume they are perfect runs. I'll def try to get some AAAs and FCs, focus on quality rather than mashing.
My scroll speed is at a default 1 , i'll def mess with that a bit and see what happens
Yeah, an AAA is a perfect run where you hit every note with perfect or amazing accuracy. Perfect means within 50 milliseconds, amazing means within 17 milliseconds, FFR treats them the same for scoring purposes but paying attention to the difference can help you improve your accuracy. And then a FC is a full combo where you hit every note in the song without missing any, I was wrong and you did have a FC and a FC* (FC* means you got a full combo once but it's not your best score), but that's still not a lot and I bet you can get a lot more if you focus on improvement.

For more detail on some of the fundamentals to focus on, the first one would just be getting the timing right on lone taps, everything else in the game builds off that skill. Passengers [Beginner] is a good song for practicing timing, it just has lone notes without any jumps or patterns. It might take some practice to get your timing accurate and consistent, but once you start getting the hang of it you should be able to get a AAA on Passengers and move on to some of the other fundamentals.

One of the next things to practice is jumps, where you hit two notes at the same time. Form [Part 1] is a good song for practicing jumps, it has 15 of them (and two hands, which are when you need to hit three notes at once). An important aspect of practicing jumps is to get the timing synchronized between both notes, you don't want to split your jumps and have the two notes register at different times. And then it also might take some practice to get comfortable with jumps and to see them like any other note, not something you need to tense up for. And eventually with practice you'll also see hands and quads (a quad is all four arrows at once) like any other note.

Then once you're good with hitting lone taps and jumps with consistently perfect accuracy, you're ready to branch out and practice all the other patterns you'll encounter in the game, the picture dictionary gives an introduction to some of them. Certain types of patterns like jacks and trills might take a lot of practice to consistently hit them accurately. Some things to pay attention to in other tricky patterns are the note colors, they're often color-coded by timing (although legacy songs will have all blue arrows, and some sections of some songs will use other colors for artistic reasons or based on some other pattern). And another thing to pay attention to is the blank space between successive notes, sometimes on patterns with tricky timing it can help to think of a blank space with 0 arrows as its own kind of note. And one final tip is to keep your eyes focused on the receptors, it's natural to want to look at the moving arrows instead, but if you do that you'll have a harder time with the arrows you're not looking at, and your timing will be less consistent than if you keep your eyes in one place.

If there's one particular section of a song you want to practice, you don't have to play through the whole song again to reach it, you can start at a particular note by using the Isolation Start setting under Settings->General to specify the note number to start at (and the Isolation Notes setting specifies a number of notes to play after that, you can keep it at 0 if you want to play through the rest of the song or quit/restart manually). If you're having trouble keeping up or reading a pattern, you can also use the Song Rate option to practice it at a slower speed, a common approach is to practice at 0.5x, then 0.6x, and so on until you're back up to 1.0x. Just remember that your score won't save if you forget to set the Song Rate back to 1.0, the Isolation Notes setting resets after your practice session but the Song Rate doesn't, you always have to set the Song Rate back to 1.0 manually.

Last edited by HBar; 02-12-2024 at 11:57 PM..
HBar is offline   Reply With Quote