View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Scoring Data in Brutal Difficulty Range

I've mentioned a few times post-tourney I intended to create a thread that would act as a hub to discuss difficulty changes to be made to 100+ charts. I gathered some data manually and decided there's no harm in creating that thread now. We may not hammer out the exact numbers until later, but in an effort to find the best starting point for D8 on the leaderboards, I figured I could share this data to try and start grouping things appropriately.

Here's a spreadsheet of all 98+ difficulty charts in the game that have been released prior to this tournament, along with AAA counts, what rank a SDG will net you, what rank sub-50 will net you, and the release year of the chart. At first I only included 99+ but I know there's gonna be that one guy that brings up oppIrish so I dipped down to 98. I believe it's fair to say nothing rated 97 or lower needs to be considered being moved to 100+. Yes, I'm aware some charts are tokens and the scoring data is impacted due to these charts not being immediately accessible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I have my own ideas regarding what should move but I don't want to guide the discussion. I've seen a lot of people discussing this range on Discord and I'm sure they'll comment here.

What I will say is that the skill rating algorithm needs to be adjusted. There are currently 19 players that have a AAA on at least one level 100+ chart (quite a few less if Rave 7 is removed from consideration), but a good handful more than that already in or approaching the 100+ range on the leaderboards. The skill rating system approximates the highest level you're capable of AAA'ing, and when a player's personal rating is higher than any AAA they've ever achieved, something's up. Current scaling awards a higher equivalency for 2-0-0-1 on a file rated x+1 in difficulty compared to a AAA on a file rated x, and I feel many players would agree the AAA in this instance is likely more impressive, assuming the charts are both rated appropriately.

In my opinion, charts rated up to 104/105 should be adjusted to scale in such a way that a BF on x+1 is worth approximately the same as a AAA on x. It'll make reaching level 100+ reflect the fact that the player can actually AAA charts in that range as intended by the system, not just score relatively well. Beyond that difficulty threshold an entirely new scaling formula likely needs to be developed for the charts that, less two or three players at the moment, no one is going to be approaching a AAA. But that's a separate discussion (which could honestly be discussed here as well, I don't mind)

Interested in both thoughts regarding chart difficulties in this range and ensuring appropriate equivalency scaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 08-24-2019 at 10:10 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote