View Single Post
Old 12-3-2008, 03:19 PM   #75
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Twilight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
I am a writer. And the fact that **** like this gets published and eaten up distresses me. It's an utterly hollow, hollow book that is only popular because some people haven't attached a definition to the word 'love' yet and find that this book fills that niche, even though the 'love' expressed in the novels is abusive and dangerous. And selfish.

It's a vapid exercise in taking what girls think they want and writing it down. And then the young men will follow, thinking that the books will serve as a guideline for how they should act, seeing as the women like it so much.

Oh, hey, girl. I like you. But we can never be together. But just in case, I'm going to remove your car engine so you can't see another guy. And I'll watch you sleep. And I'll follow you around and make sure you're not interested in anyone else, even if I tell you to be. And you should be interested in someone else, because I'm telling you to be. But if you are, I'll rip his head off. But I want you to be. Aren't I so cool? Look at my smoldering eyes. Look at my smoldering body. Could you write down, please, how good my clothes make me look?

It's aggrivating as hell because there are NO REDEEMING QUALITIES AT ALL. I fell like I'm taking crazy pills, I really do.

The difference between Harry Potter and Twilight? I feel the need to bring this up because Harry Potter was the last book series to bring kids from out in front of the TV and actually make them read.

Harry Potter is not very well written. It's written in a very plain-text style without a lot of embellishment. But it created a world that so many people wanted to escape to, and it managed to tell a compelling, intense, and fun story over seven books.

Twilight does not. The story is absolute trash.

Twilight: I love Edward. Edward loves me. Every boy loves me. Oh, bad vampire. He's dead.
New Moon: Oh, Edward is gone. I guess I'll go all suicidal. Oh, wait, he's back.
Eclipse: Oh, the vampire's girlfriend from the first book is back. Oh, wait, she's dead now. So is Laurent. Oh, hey, another boy loves me, isn't this swell.
Breaking Dawn: I got married, SQUEEEEEE! Snap, I'm pregnant. Oh, cool, now I'm a vampire. Oh, cool, I can automatically control my blood lust. Oh, cool, there isn't a big war fought over my daughter so the hundreds of pages of buildup mean nothing. Oh, cool, the other guys in love with me find someone else including my infant daughter. Oh, cool, my Dad finds another woman to take care of him besides me. Oh, cool, I get to live forever and have awesome vampire sex and I'll be 19 this is the best. And I've had to give nothing up. Isn't this a great realistic expectation I've set?

It's like... If Voldemort, at the end of book 7, walked in to the school, and Harry was all, "Oh, hey, let's not fight." And Voldemort was all, "Cool." And they made tea-cozies.

If I could, I would literally - LITERALLY - slap every single person who could not justify to me in a reason that makes freakin' sense that likes the Twilight series. I can forgive the movie, because "OOOH, AHH, SOMETHING MOVING ON SCREEN DURRRR," but not the books.
How was this ignored? God, I love you Mal. You say what I want to say to everyone like cherrygirl. The fact that the mass of Twilight fans are that ignorant just makes me throw my head back and laugh.