View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Religion usually tries to address the existence of a god, although I propose another option: the existence of a god is not relevant to the problems we face today on this planet (i.e. apatheism).

The only consistent part of religion I've seen is inconsistency. Which god is the real one? (So much violence has happened over this question, it's ridiculous) Why are there so many religions? Why is God personified when in fact we'd be talking about an entity so powerful to create an entire universe that has no reason to exhibit any sort of human characteristics? What basis do assumptions of God have to our current problems today?

What does remain consistent is findings from the scientific method. It's mostly common sense if you think about it: an observation is made, you make a hypothesis and test it. Then you support or refute the hypothesis.

Advancements in quality of life and technology were not handed down by some God. Sure, this hypothetical God might have defined the rules of the universe (such as gravity) but does not propose solutions to our current problems.
I agree with this a lot, but my religious friends propose that while we currently face problems on Earth, in the end, these problems are inconsequential and that focusing on reality precludes many people from seeking unity with God. So, instead of thinking about things the way you do, their thought process is, "Focusing on problems on Earth are vain. Our real life objective is to come back to God."

edit: ight still goin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Raised a Southern Baptist, much more of a Taoist at this point; still identify as a Christian although I'm by nature a pretty shitty person so I'd be the worst example you could find of one.
People who call themselves shitty people tend to not actually be shitty people, in my experience. The real shitty people don't notice or acknowledge their shittiness, lol.

How did you get into Taoism, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I’m still claiming to be a Christian but I feel like that it just helps me cope with reality. It’s hard to explain but when I started to really become s believer, I noticed that it made life have more meaning and I didn’t feel so lost.

I am writing this post while drinking so im having s tough time elaborating.
I related to this a lot two years ago and sought religion to find meaning in my life. Now, my life is driven a lot more by goals, and that has made my life seem meaningful enough for now.
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 11-30-2017 at 12:14 PM..