View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Rhythm Games, A Long-running Niche: A video essay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
2) Rhythm games are often about self-improvement, with little multiplayer aspects.
yea, rhythm games really suck at being multiplayer. If I'm a great D7 player and i want to play with my friend who is new to rhythm games, there is no one chart we would both be able to play and enjoy. Either i would be bored with how easy the chart is or they would be unable to comprehend the chart with how difficult it is. Being able to different charts of the same song can help, but it can be hard to find a chart with the right difficulty of easy chart and the right difficulty of hard chart, so song selection is really limited and take some time to find. Assuming you can choose any song and the difficulty will be perfect for both of you, there is still the problem that you aren't really playing together, but more like your playing simultaneously. The skill gap makes it so you cant really compete against each other, but instead against yourselves at the same time, which doesn't work as well. I think the real solution to this is co-op charts. Most games dont have co-op charts, and not all games can make co-op charts work, but i feel when they do its multiplayer in rhythm games at its best. I think its a large part of why rock band multiplayer worked. You had multiple different charts with multiple different difficulties so each person could play a chart at their skill level in their discipline of choice (to an extent), and you were all playing as a team to pass the song. you were truly playing together and i have a hard time thinking of a multiplayer that worked better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote