Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Steer clear of Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
This is perfectly logical, however there's a small problem with this. When a government has the control over all your data, in a scenario where you can be controlled in any way possible, no one stops it from making unfair rules, which you cannot avoid to abide to. This is not about conspiracy, if i was in charge and i had means to access people's data at any time, of course i would do it. And i would likewise invest in better ways to monitor, keep track and filter all this huge amount of data so the control i have over my citizens is more efficient.
My point is that my ability to actually combat any of the things they are doing (with superior technology, superior finances, superior time/manpower investments) would require resources that I don't have and wouldn't spend on that even if I did.

Going to absurd lengths to turn down their ability to passively monitor me by 0.01% is simply not worth it. If the government decides it wants access to information about me, I really don't think I'd have much hope in stopping them, so rather than stress about what they MIGHT be doing MAYBE in the future, I pay attention to what they are currently doing now that we know about, and so far, that's nowhere near concerning to me.

It's not about me saying "I'm doing nothing wrong, so I have nothing to fear" because that is some bullshit strawmanning right there.

It's about me not having anything accessible to them that I wish they couldn't see, and so not bothering to waste the time trying to protect things that aren't secret. The things that -are- secrets are not kept in a place they can see (At least I don't think they can see into my brain) so why would I get all paranoid about whether or not they are looking at irrelevant things?

Don't say "I have nothing to hide, so I have nothing to fear", instead say "Because I'm not afraid, I don't need to hide things."
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote