View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default music recommendations

my taste in music is viscerally adhd and super stepmania so I was wondering if someone could tailor music to my quirks

1. very indifferent to lyrics, and very picky when it comes to lyrics

despite wordplay being one of my strongest talents, I think lyrics are the least interesting part of a song. when lyrics try to be complicated or interesting, they usually just end up making some kind of argument through their lyrics. Tool's Lateralus was just me saying "yeah ok but this is wrong."

the best lyrics tend to be lyrics that are not that serious or that touch upon universal themes in a fresh way. lyrics about politics are probably not going to say anything new. lyrics about having sex definitely aren't saying anything new, but at least the authors know this and account for it. political lyrics don't do this almost ever. (in other words, I really dislike Rage Against the Machine and I dislike Aesop Rock when he decides to rap about sociopolitical shit. Childish Gambino's lyrics are great. fucking Dream Theater lyrics are cringeworthy. don't even get me started on like, every metal band ever.)

2. I am chiefly driven by rhythm over every other aspect of the song

this means several things:

- how the rhythms would move my body in accordance influence my preference a lot. classic rock is really boring for me to listen to because it's just a lot of bobbing your body up and down.

- a song can have shit chord progressions (or even no chord progressions) and I can still enjoy it a lot but if a song has uninteresting rhythm I cannot possibly enjoy it (ambient-anything is out)

- rap music that just loops a beat (like 90s underground rap) is fucking hellacious for me to listen to

---

I'll add things as I find them but if you can recommend stuff within these parameters I promise to give it a listen
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote