View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: How often does anyone play this game anymore?

Like Icy, I play pretty often and have been charting a lot as well. That being said, Badman's input should not be overlooked. When you look at the general age of those players who played when Stepmania was really thriving, they are all in their mid to late 20s now, if not even early 30s. Stepmania, and other rhythm games get the backseat when you have to deal with things that were already mentioned above. I don't think that this is the only deal breaker when it comes to SM, though. I remember people used to be a lot more supportive of others' scores, and they readily sought to be encouraging--this was the general attitude even with the best players. That simply isnt the case anymore. Also, something that should be mentioned is that when you look at groups like the d7 chat and other "elitist" type groups, SM isn't even a serious topic of discussion. When it is brought up,it is laughable at best. What do you think is going to happen if you treat the game as a running meme/joke? The general attitude of the best players has undoubtedly changed into this strange cesspool of uncaring pseudo-intellectual egomaniacs. This is of course fine, if you play the game for yourself entirely and play to attain personal goals. If that is all you do, and you simply dont want to play anymore, quit. But if you are playing for the community, this is a HUGE problem. Also, files have gotten a lot more uninteresting, with patterning AND song choice, and stepfile authors simply just try to make it so their files are easy to score on. Ive talked to Eze about this in detail. If you look toward the past, this was also NOT the case. Files were made so that you had to try extremely hard to attain a good score, and patterning was very unique (look at someone like Cetaka), which made the game a lot more fun as well. This is not just MY opinion. This is the opinion of others that I've talked to, like Isaac, who was a top tier player when the game was still going strong.

Also, this post was not made to attack or hurt anyone's feelings, I am simply trying to answer the question you posed.

Last edited by lofty rhino; 04-17-2016 at 07:25 PM..
lofty rhino is offline   Reply With Quote