devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Steer clear of Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Afrobean and Dev are hitting it on the head

Pseudo: I hate using the "You're probably a little too young to..." excuse, but by damn when you get older you are going to just get tired of people getting in your shit. It all sounds nifty to have the world custom fit for you but it isn't work the drawback of everything you have being known, sold, and used. I know you see concerns of what they *could* do as paranoia but frankly, alot of it has happened before with different set pieces (Germany's rights doing the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s are the most well known example I'll say. Go seek some of the interviews that the History channel did back in the late 1990s/early 2000s online and tell me shit doesn't start looking familiar at some point [/Goldwin's Rule]).

Frankly, I always assume something is looking in, so only info that I want public is on the computers I use anyway. I pay most everything with cash and I keep records in paper form. The most private thing they can get is my address if they did some serious investigating and cross-referenced everything I've posted on here, Facebook, and whatnot...but that isn't anything that an ISP check couldn't do sp it's w/e
It's funny that you'd draw literally the EXACTLY opposite set of conclusions from the same situation as I did, especially since you seem to be assuming that I'd obviously agree with you.

BECAUSE I know that pretty much anybody who wants to know things about me is going to (whether it be the government or corporations or whatever) I pretty don't care at all about giving out my personal info. I almost never pay cash for anything, I do virtually -everything- online. I bank online, I buy things online, I do most of my corresponding over email and IM programs, and I use the same username for virtually every thing I've ever done in the past 20 years of being present on the internet.

There are two kinds of intelligent reaction to the knowledge that elements in the world are gathering tracking and analysing miscellaneous information about everybody:

1/ Go on paranoid lockdown, and only pay for canned goods with the cash you keep stashed in your matress

2/ Accept that you are never going to have the time, resources and will to actually try and stop the information from being gathered, and not care.

The trick is to just not be a guy who does the kind of things that would get you into trouble if the government found out about them.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote