View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #782
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: TWG CLXXX - OuO what's this? [Game Thread]

CONTENT WARNING: pedantry

I'm not a pro at this game but IMO TWG shouldn't be viewed as a logic game, at least in its connotative sense (it technically is a logic game in the denotative sense)

The two most used tools in this game, in logical terms, are abduction and induction-deduction. Abduction and induction are both used to obtain premises, and deduction is used to arrive at conclusions.

Abduction + deduction leads to circular reasoning, and induction + deduction leads to bias and false premises.

The bottom line is that there are no axioms in TWG: every "rule" we know is constructed from social observation. Without true axioms, you can't expect to reach consistent conclusions.

The appeal to logic is really just an appeal to the connotative sense, which is often used to suggest that "my reasoning is better than yours because logic is impartial", but that's just not true.

I do admit that gut feelings are less useful in TWG insofar as they are impossible to communicate to other people, but to suggest that they are weak or are inferior to reasoning is delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic