View Single Post
Old 07-2-2021, 12:15 PM   #1292
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 854: Exodus by DMX

Rest in peace to this guy, many hazy memories wander in my mind from partying on boats to partying in sketchy houses to raving to going to weddings, all where one of his big hits played. The impact he had on social events will never be forgotten. I'm not gonna talk about his past and future influence on hip-hop as a whole because I'm not qualified to talk about it. What I do know is that some of the best moments in my life, and in many people's lives, had one of his big hits playing in the background, and for that I doubt he'll ever be forgotten.

Posthumous albums often feel like a cashgrab, a nihilistic attempt at capitalizing on increased relevance after an artist's untimely death. Does this feel like one? Well... No, I can't really say it feels like that, but there's this plaguing sense that DMX is a guest star on his own album, as many of the other rappers seem to take heavy precedence over him whenever they appear. The beats? They're a mixed bag. Lyrically? Not much to speak of, and you can often tell that his best days were past him. This album in general is fairly mediocre, but I have to say two good things:

1. When the beats hit, they hit, and there's some genuinely enjoyable stuff in here that feels like it's from a different era yet doesn't make me scream "boomer"
2. The ending two tracks are legitimately heavily emotionally affecting and I think a wonderful send off to his life and his career, and a touching tribute to his son.

Overall though, this is just mid. Not great, but at least it doesn't feel like a cheap attempt at utilizing death for profit.

Best Track: Hood Blues
Rating: 5.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote