Old 09-7-2013, 05:12 PM   #38
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz
Default Re: Fair Use / Copyright Law & FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Not a bad idea. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand though with everyone taking that sort of risk just to step whatever they want from any artist.
I guess what could happen is when a user submits to the batch, they send screenshots / emails showing their attempts at contacting them. (And this will be iffy to decide what is legit or not, but professional email adresses / agrents / record labels, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
While FFR may fall under fair use, keep in mind that companies can and will pull a copyright claim on you even if you are using their work fairly. Look at all the youtube videos that are technically fair use but are taken down for copyright reasons. And if they do take legal action, either you have to hire a good lawyer and plead your case in court - and hope the judge agrees with you, because otherwise you will have to pay a LOT of money - or come to a smaller, but still significant, settlement. Basically my point is that, just because the law is on your side, doesn't mean what you're doing is a good idea.

tl;dr let's keep getting proper permissions
In regards to YouTube, all that will happen is your youtube video will be removed or disabled within certain regions / countries. Now if this was 2006-8, a C&D letter would be sent to the individual.
(I have experienced both instances, in 2007 and 2012 - and my how things are better now then they were back then)

And while your statement is somewhat true, since remember there is no profit being gained what so ever in any way, shape, or form, I can guarentee that all they will do in a worst case senario is send a C&D letter. If FFR dosen't comply after 2(ish) requests, then legal action would be expected.

So I guess after thinking this over, I see something like this happening:

- If a lack of response has been given after 3 requests (with at-least 2 different meathods of contact), the user must attach their emails within the submission folder showing documentation proof of an attempt to contact.
- At any time the users file can be removed from FFR at any time without warning.
- (Perhaps these files should never be tokens either, in-case they do get removed)

Keep in mind we have been talking about worse case scenario.

On another note, since we credit each artists with homepage links and little facts about them when songs are released (assuming the homepage keeps getting updated like before) we can be considered musical bloggers, which is another area we can fall into in regards to copyright law.

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote