Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The College Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
Honestly, just be proficient in CS enough to be able to market your skills to the various subindustries. Understand the fundamentals in a language like C or its derivatives (and be able to pick up new languages and technologies quickly) and you'll be valuable no matter where you end up, whether in enterprise, web or mobile development, games, media, etc.

If you have an interest in something specific by all means go for it, just don't close those other doors for yourself by not being versatile - it tends to help a lot in the current job market. Despite my own background being in security and hacking skills, I've ended up doing mostly vanilla mobile development and some gamedev jobs by happenstance. I guess I've been too lazy to actually look for jobs that pertain to my skills and have just ended up wherever I happened to get offers >.>
This is honestly my hopes, but was curious where other people sat on it. Thanks for the input! I definitely understand the thought of keeping the options open, and that's what I intend to do in the long run. Just trying to figure out if there was something I wanted to attempt to get into before I fall back on the rest of the knowledge. I'm hardly into the program and I've got a decent understanding of C++/HTML/CSS and basic knowledge of Java/PHP/JS/SQL/+ a few application API's such as Google Maps, Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram's API's. I was trying to get into the Facebook API but seeing as I didn't have any practical project at the moment I put that on hold (the original intent was to learn it for use with FFR but it sounded like you guys already had that on the agenda ;p)

I want to build more of a foundation in actual application knowledge and industry level skills in what I do have my feet in already. For example, I can comfortably code something for myself in C++ that does a number of things, but I can tell you that at this time a company wouldn't do themselves a huge favor hiring me for a project yet as I'm not at that level. In due time.