Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #152
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: fuck Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
it wasn't a comparison. we all know that racism is bad so it's good example for a thought exercise.
This is not always, and is in fact almost never a good thought exercise. Saying "If you substitute in this other group that is not related to the subject and it 'sounds bad' that means your statement is bad" is just almost never correct.

"The Catholic Church is inherently oppressive to women, and has always taken steps to ensure the subjugation of women in the Church and therefore in wider society." is a statement that I, as somebody raised, baptized, confessed, and confirmed Catholic who had 15 years of Catholic education absolutely believe to be the case.

To say "Well if you substitute "The Catholic Church" for say..."Pick a race" you'll see how that statement magically becomes racist!" and like...okay, except the statement was about the group that actually does the thing the statement was about. Replacing it with a group that -does not do that- making the analogy fall apart is not actually a criticism of that analogy.

Quote:
this is something i've never heard of so if you have links to text i can look at that'd be cool
You need look no further than all of the coal miners and farmers that voted for Trump who are now being completely ruined by his policies. You can look at the success of candidates in poorer rural white areas who go on to just give tax breaks to the wealthy and leave the poor with cuts to all their services. It happens ALL THE TIME.

Quote:
i mean, yeah that's likely. but i don't think their thoughts were influenced by the men they're with per se, but by the environment they've always been in.
If the environment creates internalized misogyny and causes women raised in that environment to hold those positions, I think it's fair to suggest that the ~20% of people who "want to ban abortion" would be much closer to 10% of all those women hadn't been raised and then married into and then lived in an environment that taught them to hate themselves.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote