View Single Post
Old 09-2-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Stock Market Chit Chat

it's 100% a new wave of retail investors, but the thing is - they don't have as big of a driving force in the market versus say, market makers and the big boys (banks, funds, etc)

it does show a frenzy however, on stocks like tesla for example. and a bunch of pump and dump penny stocks. kodak is another good example.. i watched it blow up overnight from $2.50 to $8 and said to myself, there's no way this can go higher after just 1 announcement of a COVID related government loan.

then the next day, trump mentioned kodak as a COVID vaccine chemicals producer (or the potential to be) and it jumped to $54. now it's back down under $8.. and the amount of people still holding kodak shares from >$20.. extremely sad. people seem to not do their due diligence these days and those who do seem to make it big.

for example, peloton/dick's sporting goods/lumber skyrocketed (for obvious reasons) but most people didn't think about any of that because well, who wants to buy boring stocks like dick's sporting goods? we want to buy tesla for fast, quick money instead!

i heard there's a way to defer the tax then have it written off if you make enough for this year (something like, if you made 110% of your previous yearly salary via short term gains tax, you can have it written off completely for this year..) - i need to look into that.

i'm up $19k today for reference.