View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 02:39 AM   #10
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: I’m 18 biologically, but I feel like I’m about 14 mentally…

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I mean, I do have the last 3 traits you describe. I’ve demonstrated self-awareness, especially when it comes to apologizing and admitting my faults, granted, I’m not perfect, but it’s still there.
I'm not here to psychoanalyze you but, I don't think you've demonstrated those traits here. It's been a long trial on FFR. I'll leave it at that for now.

Quote:
Honestly, I don’t want to see a therapist. Because the moment I do, I’ll be a boring person just like everyone else. It’s a part of my personality, and without it, I wouldn’t be the same, nor would I be as entertaining.

I will; however, see a therapist for anxiety and dysphoria related issues, but not for them to indoctrinate me and destroy my individuality.

I understand your concern, but you do realize that therapy could have vast and irreversible consequences to my personality. In other words, the QueenAshy that people love is gone forever, and I’ll just be another random on these forums who will be forgotten in 3 or so years…

Honestly, it’s not something that prevents me from living day to day life, so, in all honesty, I don’t think it NEEDS to be treated as much as my dysphoria and anxiety NEED to be treated. It’s more just a quirk of my personality if anything…
I see this argument ALL the time and I say the same thing each time.

I see a therapist. I've seen a therapist for over 15 years. For childhood trauma. I felt the same thing you described over the years, but someone close to me said something that made me feel better about it:

"Therapy and medicine don't kill your 'self', they make you MORE 'yourself.'"

As in, therapy turns you into a better, happier version of yourself.

---------------------------

I think you'll have a hard time relating to others if you don't at least open yourself up to other people's advice, suggestions, and feedback. You might hit a wall with social interactions, or find yourself with a lot of relationship issues if you continue with this mindset. This, again, brings me back to my point about self-awareness. I don't think you're quite there yet. (Neither am I, fwiw.)

EDIT: I read your amendment. There are ineffectual therapist-client relationships. That doesn't invalidate the method as a whole. I'm here telling you, in good faith, that I still think you would benefit from therapy.

Let me add one more thing:

Somebody very close to me lived her whole life thinking that the way she was raised was normal and healthy. It wasn't: she was emotionally manipulated and abused by her mother for years, and it wasn't until talking to me, her friends, and her therapist that she realized that there was something better for her out there.

You (general you) live in your own mindset, worldview, and with your own unique history. You'll almost never "reach the outside" of your own mind without consulting and actually LISTENING to others... not just deflecting any contrary information. That's a part of growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 11-30-2018 at 02:45 AM..