Old 01-9-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Speech, Power, and Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
It is immoral to have wealth, full stop. If you are rich you absolutely have an obligation to help the poor. You're a human. Basic application of empathy and compassion should make you obliged to help people when you can. I do not believe it is possible to be a billionaire and not also evil. Yes, even the ones who donate some pittance of a percentage of their billions to good causes.
1 billion is 1,000 times more than 1 million. For a comparison, this means that something that costs $1,000 to a person with 1 million dollars is like $1 to a person with 1 billion dollars (who spends the same amount, $1,000).

Somebody with 1 billion dollars who donates 1 million dollars, is only giving 0.1% of what they own. If someone who only has $10,000 donates $1,000 then that is 10% of what they own. It gives perspective on how if someone that is obscenely rich makes a donation of six figures or more, it really isn't as impressive as it seems.

That is such an obscene amount of money that I'm legitimately convinced possessing that much money is entirely about control and nothing else. Donating 99% would still leave 10 million dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I might be missing some context since I haven't read the Harry Potter books myself. But in general, just because something is depicted in a book/movie/etc doesn't necessarily mean that the author/director/etc condones or condemns such things. If anything, I'd say that it's important for things that people find to be problematic to be included in such works of fiction since not doing so would be considered an erasure of the experiences of those negatively affected by such problematic things.
This is a highly underrated post. If a work of fiction is engaging the reader to the point where the reader is questioning the characters and assessing the situations they are in, I'd say that is good writing. It's not about what the author themselves think, but rather observing the characters and then discussing their motives and thoughts.

Controversial ideas can be inserted into literature as a way to inspire discussion on those topics. The reader has the freedom to disagree with the content.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote