View Single Post
Old 01-4-2019, 02:11 AM   #267
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
go play megaman 2 right now and tell me it has level design that would even be "ok" in the NES era. it was abysmal at the time and its not magically getting better
these guy being edgy for the sake of being edgy

Each of the stages is segmented into screens which control the pace of the game. Going screen-to-screen gives the player a feeling of accomplishment when they overcome hard obstacles, since the screens are essentially encapsulated challenges. This also allows for natural checkpoints --- both for respawning and for player reward.

The level designs require both vertical and horizontal progression and follow previously established platformer conventions (besides MAYBE Flashman's) but are also designed with powerups in mind: you can complete them with vanilla Megaman, but you are rewarded with shortcuts if you complete the stages in an intelligent order. This allows for a degree of player exploration and is one of the first games in modern computer gaming to reward routing as we know it today, given that almost all platformer games were unisequential in nature. (left-right sidescrolling with minor detours)

The Megaman series was groundbreaking whether you like to admit it or not: mainly due to the ability to acquire enemy abilities, which allows you the freedom to choose different routes through the game in order to maximize efficiency versus certain bosses. Beating Woodman to give you an advantage on Airman, for example, and getting Item 2 from Airman to help with getting to Heat Man

You -could- make the argument that getting the Metal Blade makes the game easier, which it does, but to suggest that the game sucks because of this is just nonsense.

I know that this is an "unpopular gaming opinions thread" but fuck yeah I'm going to challenge bullshit opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote