View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Default Re: So, I'm a writer now

So how's everyone been? Still no comments! But hey, from the views I hope at least some of you are enjoying what I'm putting down.

I've been pretty scatter-brained the last few months. I now have four different projects in various stages of progress.

Project 1 - currently 13,000 words - I don't even know what genre this one is, horror? The protagonist is me as an alcoholic racist, taking a holiday that goes awry when a mysterious release from the middle of the earth turns everyone into berserk, homicidal killers. Not sure why I stopped.

Project 2 - currently 10,000 words - I gave a sample of this one a couple of posts above, 'The Rob-Inn'. It started driving me mad when trying to figure out how I wanted to portray the duality of the book. I don't even know how to really explain what I mean by that, either.

Project 3 - currently 27,000 words - An erotic yet depressing mystery thriller about a woman who is telling her true life story to a journalist (think Interview With A Vampire, except not a vampire).

Project 4 - currently 15,000 words - It's a B-Horror story. A former-bouncer with one leg takes on a psychopathic Santa Claus and causes a ripple-effect that's going to end the world.

Story time:
I spent two months talking to a literary agent regarding one of my completed novels. By the time I ended our conversations last week, he ended up reminding me of Jekyll and Hyde.

He kept wanting me to explain the big mystery from the start, even when I told him that the whole point was that there was a big reveal at the end that made you question everything you had read.

He would call me at work and complain when I told him I was at work and was busy, shouted at me for sending him samples in the morning if I couldn't talk until the evening. Then he'd apologise and tell me it was fine and he would speak to me whenever I wanted.

After two revisions where I tried to yield to his demands and it wasn't good enough, I refused to change it more and emailed him an 'It's not you, it's me' email to end it. Suddenly he was telling me I had talent and he wanted to work with me. Which was great. His emails became friendly and it seemed like it would work. I went off on holiday to Disney World for two weeks at the end of February on the agreement that we would talk when I got back.

When I got back, I replied to his emails, telling him we could talk the following day because I was still jet-lagged. He called me thirty minutes after I sent the email, attacking me straight from the start. Told me my emails were unprofessional, my writing sample was horrible, and he was an agent not an editor and I couldn't expect him to edit it all for me (I had never asked him to edit a single thing). I had to cut him off after ten minutes of ranting and tell him I was done speaking with him.

The next morning I had an email from him, telling me I had talent and his door was always open if I wanted to send him any more stories for comments...

And a query for the artistically talented out there:
At the moment, I've designed all my book covers, but I'm not artistic. Would anyone be interested in working with me in designing a book cover for future books? Or even have a stab at improving my previous book covers (which wouldn't be difficult).

I can't offer money, because my books aren't selling until I get an agent and get a publisher to give me a minute of their time, but how about this: If I accept your cover, you can get a physical copy of the book when it's finished, paid for and shipped by me, signed too if you want. You'd also get a written copyright credit in the book as the cover designer.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote