Old 07-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
why is anything tournament related brought up? I tried to keep the OP short and the second line explicitly says that it's not related to tourneys (or at least yet).
...oops. Well I'm a moron, sorry about that, haha.

But honestly, my mind jumped to OTs without even going to the OP to confirm because as far as I'm concerned, OTs (and tournaments in general) are the only reason divisions even need to exist anymore. What purpose do divisions serve other than for OTs? We don't need them to designate player skill in general like we did in 2006 when they were used for the 1st OT; we have a skill rating system that does that job better than any divisional system could ever hope to.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this next point, but I don't think there's much of a point in having divisions as arbitrary skill thresholds either. As someone else said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sff_writer_dan
There's really not much difference between a 58 and 59 player
Why should level 58 to 59 be given more weight or emphasis than 59 to 60? Or 60 to 61? Outside of an OT/tournament context, I don't consider myself a D5 player, I consider myself a Level 74 player. The level does the job already.

Yeah, I realize I'm being "that guy" that's rehashing the "divisions are outdated" argument that's been done to death, but every time we tack on a new division I feel more and more in agreement towards it.

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote