View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
star rating is trash because its based purely on max nps regardless of patterns (which in turn forces a meta in which mappers create heavily manipulatable maps so that they get popular and pushed for rank. on a side note the ranking system is flawed and run by idiots who cant tell the difference between streams and handstreams)
Stepmania didn't have a rating system outside of "user says it's this hard" that is by far the most inconsistent rating system possible. Etterna fixes this, but this is not an arguement for osumania being trash considering where stepmania has come from. This has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

Quote:
the leaderboard is inclusive of all keymodes, which means that 7k players dominate it. its also based on pp, which is based on SR, which is complete shit
Leaderboards should not mean this much to you or anyone. It's cool to know that a player can top the ratings of any given video game, but to call osumania trash because the leaderboards require you to be better than someone else, well that's kind of silly. If osumania didn't have a leaderboard whatsoever, similar to how stepmania has been all these years would that make it equal to stepmania or better, or is the inclusion of a feature that stepmania has not had up to this point make osumania the worse game? What does that say about stepmania now having leaderboards in the form of etternaonline? Etterna does it better, but it's not something that inherently makes etterna better.

Quote:
also sure sm5 doesnt have it, but sm5 is trash. thats why we use etterna which has a rating system infinitely better than sr
You're really stuck to this rating thing. SM5 doesn't have it, sm3.95 doesn't have it, SM before etterna doesn't have it, we still played stepmania instead of osumania, even when osumania had a leaderboard. Why do you think that is? My personal opinion is the rating, and leaderboards do not mean anything for the actual gameplay.

Quote:
all the maps on osu are complete garbage save from converts from other games.
You are entitled to your opinion, I personally like maps/charts from both games.

Quote:
skinning in om is super minimal and almost nothing can really be accomplished with it outside of putting fucking anime girls everywhere.
I will also give you this one, stepmania has far superior options when it comes to skinning/themeing. But take into consideration that may not be the important thing behind stepmania when you suggest etterna is the best version of stepmania. We are currently funneled into 1 theme supported by etterna; Til'Death. I will say this when it comes to any game, gameplay before graphics.

Quote:
it has a cancerous reddit-tier community that doesnt know the first thing about VSRG games and hivemind worships any half decent player they see.
Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

Quote:
also the devs dont have a fucking clue about rhythm games in general and the whole game is a joke.
I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.

Quote:
oh yeah and their acc system is complete trash too. theres almost no punishment for missing notes
This is kind of a silly statement considering both stepmania and osumania are about self improvement and self enjoyment. You set your own goals, challenge yourself, push your own limits. You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.

~I enjoy OsuMania, Stepmania, and FFR, stepmania the most of the 3. I enjoy all 3 communities, I started playing osumania recently and the community has been warm and welcoming and downright absolutely has the best MP experience of the 3. You can play against very good players in all 3 games, make friends, experience new things, and not only that it's constant. I'm not here to defend stepmania, osumania, or FFR, but there is no way these statements have been indicative of the true experience of any of the 3 games. It's a lot of trash talk and I would really appreciate if everyone could put their differences aside and enjoy the game.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote