View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #28
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: 100+ Difficulty Special Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rnight View Post
oh, yeah, i know what it is.. just curious as to what made the isomorphism onto the piano so important. that feels like itd be something done more as a "stylistic" touch to me... (though it does seem like something that seems right "intuitively" as u said)
I wouldn't say that it's "stylistic"; it's a fundamental technique of laying out ideas of configuring a certain pattern. In a pattern, there is both the layering aspect (presence of notes -- should a sound be transcribed) and the patterning aspects (where the notes should go to). PR is used for the latter.

Even as someone who is very bad at distinguishing whether notes are higher or lower, I use PR as a way to accentuate certain repeated phrases of a melody or distinguish one phrase from another. It's also a generally good way of distinguishing certain rhythms from one another in a chart as well (like say, trying to differentiate sets of triplets in a guitar solo). PR, in essence, can clear potential ambiguities and accentuate parts that listeners will hear often in a short period.

There are, of course, multiple ways to emphasise prominent parts of a melody through patterns, but PR is generally considered to be very effective for tonal music for the aforementioned reasons and that it's just a commonly applied technique. That's not to say that PR is the best technique for tonal music, however -- other techniques like just focusing on prominent notes in a melody through something like minijacks or a certain pattern configuration work just as well if not better in different situations.

I also think that a conventional spread setup kinda lends itself to pitch relevance in general. The setup looks like a mini-piano, and the gameplay screen is basically Synthesia. Index/pad charting doesn't really have any strong emphasis on pitch relevance (at least the ones that are pretty heavily associated with PR, like ascending/descending scales) because of how their controller setups are designed, in contrast. At least, pitch relevance isn't followed in a way that's anywhere as stringent or explicit as spread KB play.

Last edited by Wiosna; 07-21-2020 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: really important edits that i forgot to append for pad/index charting, sorry
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote