View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: TWG Poll Questions

I'll point out that the mod question is mostly about me.

And so i'd like to address the three issues surrounding playing on a staff account in my specific case.

The main issue is, I do NOT have the luxury of just "not logging into Devonin for the duration of the game" I HAVE TO BE logged in as Dev many times a day to handle site stuff, and so on where local mods don't need to do it as much.

So as a result

1) I can see the invisible people on the forum front page, and recognize them as TWG players anyway (where I can assume they're viewing the thread) Having to only come into the thread on an alt doesn't stop me from doing this if I wanted to do this.

2) I can't imagine why anybody should be putting another TWG player on ignore mid game, I'm honestly surprised there's not a rule -against- it for gameplay reasons. But sure, people could block seeing my posts on an alt, though I'm not even sure if the site prevents you from ignoring me on this account.

3) I can see IP addresses without even coming to the site, going into the admin CP. Even in an anonymous game, if I -wanted- to cheat I could do it without any presence in the thread or even on the forum.

In general, I can mouse over an icon in the thread that shows me an IP address, but I guarantee you that even in an anonymous game, I'm not going to -recognize- the IP address of anybody in the game. I'd have to go into the admin CP to get that info, which again, I can do without ever coming onto the forum.

So basically it comes down to "If you think I would cheat or use my moderator powers to my advantage, you need to actually just bar me from ever playing, because making me play on an alt won't actually prevent me from cheating if I want to. And if you don't think I will cheat, instead of making me swap accounts 50 times a day, just let me play on Devonin."
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote