View Single Post
Old 01-9-2015, 03:30 AM   #142
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

Don't forget there's a heavy bias on people's knowledge of specific rock-related genres. Most users are not critical of other music genres because they probably aren't familiar with them, so it's important to note that bias. If there was to be a change for genres, it should change across the board, so I would like input from more than just metalheads please. That's simply my observations based on the feedback I hear on the particular songs that people are currently critical of.

People may also be surprised at what are "real" genres vs made up ones. You're probably thinking of commercially relevant genres, and if you choose to go that route, then you might as well give very sweeping generalizations on song genres (with exception to people's insistence on metal-specific genres it seems). Thirdstyle does something like this, but I find it very dull. Overall I find it hard to take "real" genres seriously, because "real" doesn't have a very defined boundary in the first place. "Real" as far as I can tell are the genres that people are familiar with, so this differs from user to user. Therefore, I am very dismissive of the idea of generalizing song genres - everyone has their own idea of what genres are legit or not.

That being said, I'll always take into consideration individual song genre corrections, so please keep them coming, but note that you're only as critical as the genres you know about.

Last edited by bmah; 01-9-2015 at 03:45 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote