View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Potentially escaped death today

Tonight I was returning from Natick and some of you may know that Exit 32A on I95 is used to connect to Route 3 North. However, Exit 32A is currently closed for road work and there is a very poorly indicated detour.

My GPS ended up getting me into a loop, and I ignored my GPS, also missing the detour and eventually getting back to it. When I got to the detour around 8:30 pm there was apparently an accident that resulted in a line of cars blocking the detour to the point where half a mile would take 30 minutes to get out.

Well it turns out the detour also leads you into an incline where you can't really see much ahead. Turns out there was a good amount of time for the line of cars to back up, and when I was going over the incline around 55 MPH I saw a pair of red lights coming close at a fast speed.

Oh shit.

I had probably a good 3 seconds before I'd crash into that car. I slammed the brakes and threw my steering wheel to the left, which made a loud skidding noise and my car lost some control for a couple seconds before I went straight again.

When that happened, I felt really light (similar to the feeling of going down a steep rollercoaster ride) and my body immediately felt cold. If I had not turned like that, even with slamming on the brakes I would've hit the car in front of me in the line probably at around 40 MPH, creating a domino effect of the cars following it. It would have been really bad for those people and I probably would have died.

There were two important factors that contributed to why I'm safe right now (but in shock):
1. The two left lanes were completely empty. If there were any cars in those few seconds in the left lanes, they would have been hit.
2. I didn't freeze in panic. I reacted immediately. If I had frozen for even a second, I probably would be in a hospital right now.

I did see a paramedic vehicle rush to the blockade earlier on. After around 20 minutes I got to the accident site in the detour, and the car's front was demolished. The person in that car had obviously been rushed to the hospital.

I'm just glad that I am alive right now. I'll probably remove this thread in a few days, but I'm still recovering from shock right now. I was lucky to have had those specific conditions in that scenario, or I could have ended up like the person who ended up in that tragic accident due to a fucking poorly designed detour.

For anyone who tries to go north from around the Natick MA area, please note this 32A exit detour from I95. That detour is fucking NASTY.