View Single Post
Old 05-1-2021, 10:13 PM   #13
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Seasons [Suggestion]

I personally love the idea of a seasons system for FFR, and we already have most of the infrastructure in place to execute the base concept of "season starts, season ends, season leaderboard resets".

Using the established skill rating system makes sense, and benefits both returning players who feel discouraged playing against their top scores from forever ago, and new players who can fit right in to the current season.

*Shuffles notes from 2016*

A major reason why seasons never really took off the last time this was suggested (other than lack of developer resources), was because we wanted to introduce some sort of crazy season-exclusive engine mechanics, theme, and incentives, like Path of Exile does with their league system.

I still feel there needs to be something a bit more than just a leaderboard if we want seasons to be as engaging as possible. But if the community cares more about stat tracking and getting this thing rolling, we could keep the first season simple, and just offer profile badges for the division you finished the season in.

I can't think of any real drawbacks. Since there will be no "end-of-season tournament", where everyone is placed based on their seasonal skill rating, there aren't really any incentives for underperforming.

Starting a new season every 3-4 months feels like a good sweet spot that gives more drop-in opportunities than once per year.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote