View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #75
Jagakon
FFR Player

Default Re: Keyboardsmash Phase I: Legacy [RELEASED]

My Time and Pelican Moondance, best files in the pack hands down.
They have a certain unique aesthetic to them that makes them stand out among the rest, while being fun, dynamic, and enticing. These would be the first files I'd play when I come back to this pack.

Endless Despair, oh man if this file was cut in half it would have been up there with the best. The jumpchaining was incredibly fun to hit and the solos were fun in the first half, but dat second half. Just draaaaggged to the point I had to quit out. Thats painful, because I was really liking it. This obsession with fully stepped SSh songs should've stopped in 2011 or some shit.

Atropos was really sick too, I think I saw this in another pack but didn't play it for some reason. Both the Magics were great as well.

IMO, too many safe files in this pack. Not a lot of people pushing their boundaries, but I think in order for this to change there needs...NEEDS...To be more thematic/atmospheric packs hosted and not this "yo, submit all your good files so I can see if I like them or not, and then I can make a compilation of files that I like, ya dig" kinda packs. There's no sense of direction or vision. Like a year of submissions for this, kinda disappointing. We need to use these recent packs as an indicator of what needs to be changed for future packs to spruce new creative spirit. Just my 2 cents.

I'll go ahead and give reviews of Yume's files as this person has potential. Seems like they truly wanna improve, but no one is paying attention. Sucks, SM ded. I respect this person's passion to create so many files and send them in while SM is going through such a big drought period full of dropped packs.

Just a disclaimer, I dont judge on technicalities or anything like that, but rather how I felt when playing. So I wont go into heavy detail, beat for beat, because that's all irrelevant really.

Red is a file I probably would most likely never play again, green is an okay file that I might play when I have nothing else to play, blue is a great file and I'd consider playing it regularly when I open SM

Alicemagic - I'd rather this had never been stepped. Why was it stepped, I have no idea. This should've been submitted to that anime summer pack that's going on, seems like you stepped this for a sole reason that you enjoyed the anime maybe? I was waiting for that focal point where the song takes a fun turn and change my mind, but it never happened. The song was as generic as can be, and the file reflected that.

Altale - The file had waaay too much going for it given the nature of the song. This could've been one of the better files, instead I felt like I was forcing myself to play along to your notes instead of flowing with the music. Be mindful of the music and how it translates to your notes, not how difficult you can make the file. That's the mindset someone has when they're making dump files.

Dstorv - Yup, yup, yup. I liked this one. Although there were some questionable parts, your flow was a lot more consistent and thoughtful in this one, as well as being fun to hit. I actually felt what you were doing here. It was challenging, but not too unsatisfyingly difficult, and kept my interest. Good work.

ELECTRiCITY - It was aight, kinda lost me at the end. Just got a tad bit convoluted for me, that's all. The patterns felt fun enough to make this one acceptable, and the song was nice too, but it could've been handled more smoothly.

Hanairo Biyori - This is basically the same story as Altale. Unnecessarily difficult files like this aren't memorable, it's just filler.

Kreuz - Being rusty at SM is ass, I failed out LOL. I must say though, your choice in jump progressions are smooth as hell, but it gets drowned out by your tendency to make difficult files and it becomes less noticeable. It should be the opposite, you wanna let your specialities shine. Even though I didn't finish the file, the style of it is something I wouldn't normally go back on and play.

Lambda Driver - Another finger banger right here. I felt you lost the essence of the rhythm nearing the end, and the some of the patterns chosen didn't really sit well with me. I was feeling the intro jacks though, most fun in the file.

Metsu Seisyoku sumthin sumthin - This was pretty fun, I liked it. Nice pattern direction. Not much else to say.

Neurotoxin - Already played this in one of your other packs or in some other pack, I don't remember, but it's pretty chill, I don't have any issues with it.

Nightfall - I love the scheme you went with this one, and like I said before, your jump progressions are seriously smooth. Probably the most interesting/enjoyable one so far, and ironically the easiest. Nice work.

PUPA - Finger banger. I'll let this one pass because the song is dope, so kudos on the song choice, but this style of file doesn't suit to my tastes at all. Difficult and rigid at the same time is not a good combo in my book.

So basically 50/50 on your files. Files with harsh difficulties without a clear direction with the music and files that aren't as difficult and have more of an emphasis on musicality and a more coherent direction. You can surely find that balance in due time.
Jagakon is offline   Reply With Quote