Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #255
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: Misc. progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Not sure at this point. I'm experiencing major difficulties with my lifts in terms of form (I fucking hate squats because I just can't get the form right no matter what I try). It's really demotivating. I haven't been able to progress past 115 without my right knee feeling like it's going to blow out, so I know I'm leaning too far forward... but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to "sit back more" without falling over or screwing up 10 additional things. Frustrating.

Other than that, I was thinking maybe 170 lbs -- or whenever the man boobs go away.
I recommend you give box squats a try.

I've trained a lot of people at this point, and I've gotten them all to squat properly except one. Honestly, I don't think she can. I've measured her and her leg to torso ratio is...ridiculous. She has really long femurs. It makes squatting hilariously awkward for her and I feel like what you're complaining about is what she went through. We tried pretty much everything for over a year and ...I still couldn't get her to squat properly.

I introduced box squats and now she loves squatting.

Set the box at a good height, around parallel, and enjoy. You can sit back into your squats and keep your back upright without ever losing your balance. It makes keeping perfect form extremely easy, and because of the nice pause at the bottom, it actually smashes your quads, hammies and glutes REALLY well (IMO maybe better than regular squats).

The biggest disadvantage is simply...it won't transition linearly to regular squat gains, which is only relevant if you plan to powerlift. Hip flexors are not very relevant when box squatting (which is also nice if you ever injure them), and you won't train your myotatic reflex.

Also, don't come down on the box too hard, can hurt you back. Slowly come onto the box.

Last edited by Reach; 05-28-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote