View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default True Super Metroid Player Now

So I got back out my Super Nintendo and played the most classic game ever - Super Metroid. I decided I'd try and do some sequence skips/tricks. I was successful in a few things, like getting the Energy tank in Brinstar without the Highjump boots by having the enemy strike me and knock me up into the tank. Once back around to the main part of Brinstar, I was able to get a couple of middle upgrades early by wall jumping.

My first sequence skip I managed was to beat Kraid without entering Norfair. I walljumped to get the spacer early, then used bombs to get into Kraids area. The fight was a bit tougher than usual because if you got knocked down, you'd have to walk jump to get back up to shoot him in the face.

My next skip kind of backfired on me. I got the wave beam early (wall jumping), and went down and knocked the big red boss into the lava (forgot his name). When I kept going, I forgot I needed the powerbombs to get the grappling hook. To get back up the long shaft, it required a lot of wall jumping. I had to get the Ice beam and the powerbomb anyways to progress, so I'll have to plan better for that next time. (I had tried to get the first powerbomb early, but that's really tough to pull off).

Going back and playing this game has been a great experience. I love how the developers left in these skips for people who have played the game before. I watched and amazing video of someone running the bosses in reverse order - just the idea of going through lower Norfair without the Varia Suit is insane. Replaying the game is bringing back a lot of nostalgia.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote