View Single Post
Old 03-5-2023, 04:46 AM   #2
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Top 5 Favorite Anime of All Time?

Sure, ok.

1. Usagi Drop

Ok look, I know I love slice of life anime more than anything else, but this is just a perfect anime regardless of that. The music is fantastic, the colouring, the voice acting, everything blooms with soul. The source material (even though it still speaks to me) is admittedly not that special overall, and I borderline don't understand how the direction approached the author with this as a vision of what it could be. More often than not, I think anime doesn't hold up to the source material, but here, the anime breathes life into the manga and this is why it is my #1 and will likely never be beaten. It is perfect.

Oh, and it just makes me feel really really good inside.

2. Chihayafuru

I had this anime in my sights for years before I decided to sit down and watch it, and FUCK I was not ready for this ride. It definitely fails in a few ways from a technical standpoint, but it really doesn't matter. This anime activates your brains. It's very heavy on inner monologues and I have never seen anything in anime close to the level of tension you find in this. There are strong romantic sub plots and I don't give a fuck about those, but they also don't overly distract me (until season 3 where I think it becomes a problem). Don't let yourself be discouraged by the fact that this is "about a card game", this is the most intense sports anime (and even action anime) I've ever seen. Of course, there's a ton of extremely over the top anime, but Chihayafuru is designed to be serious and relatable, and to put you at the edge of your seat the entire time. I was thinking about my top 5 and that alone made me decide to rewatch the whole thing. I've binged an entire season since I posted my message and it is every bit as good as I remember.

Also, every character is good. Chihaya, the MC, might be the best MC I've ever seen in anime.

3. Isshuukan Friends
4. Natsuiro Kiseki
5. Kokoro Connect

I decided to put these together because, to me, they all belong together. They're my trilogy of "supernatural slice of life anime with coming of age elements in which a group of friends face challenges that guide them to a stronger relationship". I just like slow paced shows like this that focus on everyday life, growth and mutual understandings, and the supernatural elements here give the show just the right amount of flavour. I definitely think Isshuukan Friends is the best of the 3, but the other two can go in whatever order.

Of course, there are a ton of shows like this, many of which I also enjoyed. I definitely had a good time with Kotoura-San, for example, but these 3 have always been in a class of their own in my eyes, and I can't exactly pinpoint why. If anything, I think it's how comedy is a little present, but takes a backseat to the struggle.

So yeah... My top 5 anime is probably that?

Edited with consideration to MarioNintendo's request.

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 03-6-2023 at 07:23 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote