Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 02:25 AM   #390
James Somers
Banned

Default Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew WCY View Post
Tell me whether Sweden has successfully managed to create herd immunity against the Coronavirus.
Do you think that this is possible in six months? This is a lengthy process. To do this, about 80% must contact the virus and develop immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
The economic argument is a tricky one because while on the surface no one is willing to say that a few thousand deaths are an acceptable cost to mantain our lifestyle, in practice our society already has a massive human life cost, think of all the modern diseases originated from our high consumption of sugar, harmful chemical additives, air pollution, radiation, drugs. The numbers of COVID are insignificant if you compare them to all the death and illnesses directly caused by how we live our life and largely ignored. While no one should make that call because we do have means to esentially slow down the disease so much it becomes a marginal issue, it's not such a clear cut choice wether to close everything down and cause massive economical damages that will ripple in the coming years and turn into social issues as well, or accept that this is yet another sacrifice to the altar of modern society (a smaller one at that) and ride on.
You are right, there are many no less dangerous things in our life than another virus. I do not deny that the coronavirus is spreading like wildfire, but objectively, in terms of the percentage of severe conditions caused, this is not the most serious disease. And by the way, according to the statistics of deaths from coronavirus, no one details how many people of them were with chronic diseases that were not controlled by the patient himself (that is, he did not go to the doctor, did not update his prescription for drugs, thereby putting himself in danger). I will not deny that we need to be careful. But closing people home, leaving them without work and driving them to depression and suicide attempts is also not a solution to the problem.