View Single Post
Old 12-8-2020, 12:40 PM   #1189
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 789: Savage Mode 2 by 21 Savage and Metro Boomin

The only review I've ever posted from the rapper/mumbler/Brit on this release I believe was I Am > I Was which was actually way better than I expected. I never reviewed it but I heard and hated INNIT... I mean ISSA. Okay I'm just referencing old memes at this point and that's just fucking stupid let's move on.

Wait he actually references that whole controversy in some of the lyrics on this release, I... should've expected that actually, but it's still amusing to me. Comparing this to the release I literally just reviewed, this falls into many of the same traps of repetition (does this dude EVER change his delivery? When I saw him live he was screaming over backdrops which felt horribly unfitting, if he's gonna do that live then he needs to make some fucking screaming tracks) but overall I feel this one is at least a bit more consistent. I'm way more fond of the beats here (the repetition complaint is only in terms of delivery, these beats oscillate between sparkly pretty crap, dark shit and party bangers more than often enough), the lyrics are surprisingly way better than I would've expected (lots of good one-liners) and I felt LESS bored by this than Nightmare Vacation which is... uhhh.... weird? My only qualms with this release really are some of the love and sex songs which don't really please me (especially that one with Aubrey Graham's Grooming Parlor) but they at least add variety I guess? Maybe someone wants to hear this mumbly British dude murmur about how he wants the pussy wet?

Anyways, ignoring those, this is remarkably consistent. I'd be lying if I said I liked it as much as the last one I review but this is pretty good stuff. Not top album of the year stuff, works more as something I'd just toss a few of the best cuts into a playlist or something, but pretty damn good.

The only thing I'm not really fond of at all are all the features here, none of which really stand out, but I see them as necessary considering just how monotonous this guy's delivery is. And although I hate Drake as much if not more than I hate 100 Gecs I don't feel like knocking a point off for that since he's not nearly as intrusive when he grossly features.

Best Track: Many Men
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote