View Single Post
Old 07-6-2014, 11:22 PM   #45
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 13: Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis (Album Choice: Phillip S)

Meh... I'm pretty neutral to Jazz as a whole. I almost never go out of my way to listen to it, but it's pleasant enough when it comes up. It seems most people either hate Jazz or adore it, but I honestly couldn't care less for the most part. I do like some jazz-influenced rock and electronic music, if that counts. Okay time to listen.

For the record, I've realized at this point that giving an introduction to the artist is usually entirely pointless. If you want info look it up yourself jackass.

But I will go against what I said in that I must point out that this was ranked number 12 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. That does two things. I now put this on a pedestal because 12 is pretty damn high. But I also kind of ignore that pedestal, because that list sucks. Sgt Pepper's over Pet Sounds is unforgiveable, and they said Pink Moon and Third/Sister Lovers were the WORST albums by their respective artists. That's just some horrendously wrong opinions right there.

Uh... This is problematic. I have no idea how to criticize jazz music. With rock music, it's super easy. The vocals suck, the guitar sounds like boiled ass, the bass drum sounds like a ham being slapped with a baseball mitt, the production is horrendous, the lyrics were written by Stephanie Meyer, et cetera. What am I supposed to criticize? This first song, and I assume the rest of the album, is based on none of that. It's piano chords, a bunch of ride cymbal taps, an upright bass and horns improvising.

Daaaaaaamn, that ride cymbal is impressive! ...Yeah I'm really, really lost here. This track is just about to end. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to say. The horns sounded pleasant. The bass was pleasant. Everything here is pleasant. And yup this second song is more of the same.

Blue in Green reminds me of A Charlie Brown Christmas. I have absolutely nothing useful to say, so take that useless quip as my criticism. Don't like it? I really don't care.

Well, now that the album is over, I'm at a loss for words. That's not a good thing. It's not a bad thing, either, mind you. I just don't know how to review jazz. That was... nice, I guess. Good improv, which is to be expected with all the big names on this album. It's perfect easy listening music, for a late dinner, or for homework, or for drinking copius amounts of expensive alcohol. It didn't personally stick out to me, but I can't say I'm a huge jazz fan or naysayer. I'm not disappointed at all.

Best Track: uhhhhhhh
Rating: 7/10 (oh crap I'm gonna get shot)

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote