View Single Post
Old 04-9-2014, 01:13 PM   #1194
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: League of Legends [v2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestREA View Post
In the situation that "everyone" would be diamond by today's standards, what is diamond now may not serve as a real expectation in the future.

As you move up, everyone becomes far more consistent. Eventually, the new diamond I would still contain diamond players according to old standards, but these players are very consistent and can perform well on a whim.

It's not that out of reach to practice and get better at a skill. I believe that some people will need more time; if two players both play 1000 games, the improvement that each will see is not the same.
In this case we're talking about the natural limits of people, hypothetical limits of their ability. You're talking about improvement rates. The point is that there will always be a large difference in skill. Comparing "diamond this year" to "diamond next year" means nothing and by the time next year rolls along people like lito will still be referring to the "current diamond" in the future.

Literally everyone on this planet has something they're good at and something they're bad at, and almost everyone can identify at least one thing they're bad at. Go ahead, right now, think of one thing you feel you're absolutely terrible at, regardless of how exotic or obscure it might be. Imagine dedicating yourself to that. You think you can reach the top 3% of the population that also dedicate themselves to that same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
if a lot of people who play ranked matches play the game casually then grinding and training your way past them should be possible for almost anyone who is inclined to play video games in the first place and has the time, though. like I think the point is if you want to reach whatever skill level then you have to work for it. a lot of people who say they don't have time could pull hours from other leisure stuff to put into practicing if they made a conscious decision to do so.

also I don't think lito was saying he wasn't being a dick, I don't think that requires a "reality check"
I have plenty of friends whose goal was to hit Gold league. They did exactly that, and although they wished they were better still, they didn't choose to spend more time. It's not about the fundamental relationship between working and getting what you want, it's about to what extent and how far people are willing to go to reach their own specific set goals (and also the limits of how far they can actually go).

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 04-9-2014 at 01:17 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote