View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Perfect Randomness:Grinding:Skill ratio

without reading any other posts to sway my judgment:

Randomness - Very low, but not 0
Grinding - There should be a fair amount of grinding, the bulk of the time playing should be a grind towards goals. To me, satisfaction comes from working toward a goal and finally achieving it. This is also a reason I might stop playing a game.. after I achieve a big goal after a grind, I'm left not knowing what else to do.
Skill - More than is currently present in most MMO games. Puzzles should be challenging, but not super difficult. The thing which you are grinding should leave room for skill-based improvement that increases the efficiency of your grind.

The game that immediately comes to mind for an ideal balance of these 3 is Puzzle Pirates (very old game I know). The game in essence involves you and a crew of other players on ships of varying sizes all doing your duties (Sailing, repairing, bilging water, etc) to keep the ship afloat and battling enemies (players or bots) to pillage their loot. The thing is that every activity in the game is a puzzle minigame (kinda like tetris, bejewelled, etc) that you start absolute garbage at, but after practicing and learning strategies, you can become fantastic at.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote