View Single Post
Old 12-2-2020, 09:18 PM   #91
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: TWG 198 - TWGabout Succession [Postgame Thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
I really don't think there's anything wrong with not liking written depictions of violence.

labeling that, and also being respectful of people with those thoughts as "being 5 years old" is moreso where the general toxicity of this site stems from - lack of respect for people who think differently than you.

People have different opinions, views, and walks of life. respect it or leave middie.
1. I think it's the precedent, or rather the actual "bigger picture" that it affects, where we're about to move the post what is allowed and as time goes on we're gonna keep doing that, because the far end of the extreme is going to inch ever closer.

2. You want me to be genuinely toxic? Even in all of this, I haven't personally attacked anyone, or brought stuff from outside the game in. I can call what you're saying "fucking stupid" and it's not an attack that "you are stupid." They don't corelate that way, unless you like shoving words in folks mouths. Are you the old FFR mods? The ones that banned me multiple times for shitting on simfiles in a juvenile way so hard it got under people's skin?

3. OH MY GOD I WAS JUST SO UNAWARE. Again, it doesn't corelate that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Force View Post
I'm gonna cherry-pick this comment with my 2 cents.
You adding a lot of swearing does the opposite. It dulls your posts and lessens their effect due to how often you use them.
If you ever made a post that was descriptive, serious, and DIDN'T resort to cursing, then I'd pay attention.
I dunno, it seems pretty damn effective if we're that worried about our language driving away new players. Seems like it matters a lot, and still works. Star-Crossed literally doesn't respond to it.

So it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
I think I'm with YoshL on this one. Lewdy was very obviously joking and being hyperbolic, and he didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, but that's not "the point", Xel.

Questions like this are more about the "bigger picture": what kind of culture do we want to cultivate for FFRTWG? What behaviors do we want to reward? What are we "okay" with letting slide as a part of the social game? These are all things that have been weighing on many of our minds, especially post-toxicity thread.

We all love this community and we want to see it thrive. I, for one, think one of the most effective ways of continuing the site's legacy of excellence is to sometimes take that step back and ask ourselves, "what standard of conduct do we want to be known for?" and "is this <behavior X> really something that we want to normalize?"

I think a part of it is that we're all older now and have matured to the point where we've come to realize that certain behaviors that we've come to accept dogmatically as "part of the game" really don't actually HAVE to be that way.

It is important to have these discussions so that we can really emphasize the positive, fun parts of TWG and leave the rest behind... so that we can all feel comfortable and have a good time. Because at the end of the day TWG is just a game.
The bigger picture is that you're all trying to sanitize a game because you're trying to be worried about people who aren't here yet.

I'd like to post an excerpt from the actual rules thread for TWG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
19) TWG is a game not for the faint of heart. Emotions are often manipulated within the game. Players may attempt to anger or upset other players for strategic reasons. All of this is legal. Consistently flaming one or more players at such a point where it has gone outside the realm of the game and into personal quarrels is not legal.
Nothing, both in the toxicity thread, nor this current game, has broken this rule. This is the only rule about how manners in the game should be conducted. Even then, it's a rule saying stuff is going to be heated, it's more of a warning.

You know what did break this rule? The time I called Roundbox a white-knight, or the game I played with an avatar that said "Safe Space" on a white background. Those clearly break the rules if you know the back story to either of them.

You want to keep TWG as just a game?

Grow up. Ignore it like everyone else, and stop putting the warm milk in the bottle for the children, they're gonna cry themselves to sleep eventually.