View Single Post
Old 05-7-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
ddrmaniacaaa
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Whats wrong with my Itunes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
For the error after moving music, it's because (as midnightraver said) it looks for the music in that folder. Unlike Windows Media Player, it's not constantly updating the music on your computer. It's an iTunes player that updates music you'd buy, so don't expect the greatest player in the world. But if you moved all your songs in that folder, it should be asking you where to find that song. For example, you moved a whole album from your desktop to your Music folder in My Documents. If iTunes asks where to find it and you find the file again, it'll ask "Use this location to find other missing files?" In that case say yes, and all your erroneous files should be fixed.

Every time I download a song or album I set the time aside to fix all labels. For example, if I downloaded an mp3, I put it in the music folder, I then add it to iTunes and I right click and click Get Info. Here you'll find the information that iTunes uses to organize things. You can even set certain songs to play at smaller/louder volumes, such as a piano song that is somewhat soft. You can organize titles, artist, etc. And always check the lyrics on the last tab, when downloading mp3's people sometimes advertise their site and post it there. Delete it, and if you're willing find the lyrics to the song paste them there. You might not need it, but with the iPod touch you can scroll through lyrics while enjoying a song, it's a neat feature if you're interested.

One more thing. Don't ever wipe your iPod clean, it's really unnecessary. If you view your iPod while it's connected you won't see anything. But that's because they're hidden folders. Unhide the folders and find the music files. You'll see that they are labeled weird, usually with 4 character labels such as 4GX7. Most people assume it's not safe to copy that, but copy all the music there and keep it. When you erase your iPod of everything and install a new iTunes have iTunes add all those songs again. It'll neatly organize itself again with all the info you stored on them, including proper labels and lyrics. All you'll need to do is create the playlists again.

Hope that helps, speaking off the top of my head so things may have changed since the last time I used iTunes.
Ok thanks i understand now that i have to place my music where i want it first before i do anything with itunes. Question: I have never gotten the use this location to search for other files message, is there a way i can set that in itunes manually so i know where to extract my files to?

Interesting point on the lyrics, but can i do this on a nano or original?
The get info feature does not work for me all thie time because i listen to a lot of unpopular bands that are not on itunes (or a demo tape or other unrealeased material from a popular band), which is why i have been labeling myself.

Oh, and there were benefits to wipeing my ipod. I was specifically talking about the 1st gen ipod, which i got for free used from a friend. It had 40GB worth of music, most of which i did not want to listen to. Rather than dealing with the entire catalogue of 4 digit hidden files like you mentioned, i just decided to scrap it and start fresh. I also found that doing this has trippled the ipod's battery life. Copy/paste would not have worked for me because my hard drive is only 50GB.
ddrmaniacaaa is offline   Reply With Quote