Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

June 1, 2011

Easy Songs Batch
link: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=118952

Gundam-Dude

45 (nois-or-e)
- Sudden change in layeringand percussive patterns might throw people off but this is good.
[+.]

Above the Clouds (nois-or-e)
- Easy to follow. Just uninteresting.
[+.]

Above the Clouds (cry4eternity)
- Once 16ths kick in, it becomes slightly disorienting. Even more so when you add that 24th roll and rainbow notes.
- Possibly spread patterns out more evenly? A lot of one handed oriented patterns which aren't too beginner friendly.
[+?]

Another Day (bmah)
- Layering piano chords with jumps was a good choice.
- Liked the transition from vocals to piano. Gave it more interest.
[+]

bitmapstar (Ziergdsx18)
- Straightforward layering. Easy to follow.
- Don't really like the 8th jacks but that's just me.
[+]

botu1 (MarioNintendo)
- Nice pitch relevancy.
- Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Break Fast (OneHandNow)
- This definitely needs a DDReam sync job to snap to standard colours and note intervals. The colours are way too random, confusing and disorienting for beginners to follow. Sync wasn't bad at all though.
- There's a line between colour theory and just taking a rainbow dump without proper syncing. You can probably guess which of the two this file falls into atm.
[?]

Carrots (Yo Man I'm Awesome)
- Completely off sync for whatever reason? Had to make correct syncing adjustments before playing.
- M15+ the transition is sudden and awkward. You just suddenly stop layering in piano chord jumps and switch layering which is confusing, especially for beginners.
- Beat 94 and elsewhere, I don't get the jump placement. It doesn't emphasize anything consistently and seems completely random.
- Later on, avoid the one handed oriented gallop patterns (e.g. [4][3] [3][4] etc.). It becomes disorienting, especially for beginners.
- M68+ sudden layering of piano chord jumps is an awkward transition since you randomly throw them in and go with it.
- Overall, there's too many awkward and sloppy layering transitions and layering inconsistencies. Also, some of the one hand oriented patterns need tweaking.
[-]

Chimes (Thatskier)
- Completely offsync and notes aren't even relevant to the song.
- Needs major revamping.
[-]

Counting Snow (0)
- The white note concept I found very cool and fitting for the song.
- Only problem is that the grace notes will give people a hell of a time AAA'ing, lol.
[+]

Dance Trigger (XCV)
- Offset is 0.04 too earlier (global offset problem probably).
- A lot of jump placements don't really seem to emphasize or accent much in the song. Could throw people off easily.
- There's a bit of a lack of pitch relevancy. Not a major problem but for easy files it contributes better to capture the feel of the song.
- M23+ is a weird transition. It's a bit too empty and there's a density inconsistency as soon as M31+ comes up.
- Beat 202+, awkward and sudden transition. Very flow breaking and it's disorienting.
- Overall, a lot of layering transitions don't flow well. As a result, file is very inconsistent and would be too confusing for beginners. Layering wasn't too bad.
[?]

Darling(JSH)
- M30+ jumps don't really emphasize anything. Rather them being single notes.
- The note intervals of 4th, 8th and 12th being jumbled together is a little hard to follow.
- M50+ same deal with jumps.
- Layering in this was pretty solid. Jump usage was just weird for me.
[+.]

Deadly Daydream (leonid)
- 48th rolls are way too much for this kind of difficulty. Simplify them.
- A lot of jumps don't really need to be layered in. Simplify them and restroct them to only important sounds worth layering.
- M60, the long 8th jack hihats are awkward in the sense that a lot of the patterns are being focused on one hand. I'd rather have this section as spread out as possible. If this were a denser file, I'd be okay with the 8th jack hihat but this is really pushing it for an easier file.
- Beat 242, that 16th jack formed on [1] transitioning into a [14] jump is bad.
- Layering is excellent. This just really needs tweaks on whatever I mentioned.
[+?]

Ding Dong Song (Dossar)
- Good flow. Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Endless Handbag In Asia (MaxGhost)
- Well layered.
- Only commentary are those 8th jacks you formed in the beginning measures don't seem all that necessary.
[+]

Eulogy For Nick Galvez (Emulord)
- The jump usage transition between M33+ to M40+ I liked, though it might throw people off at first.
- Well layered and flowed well. Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Fall into Night (0)
- Interesting and well layered.
- Decent practice for grace notes too.
[+]

Finding A Way (00Razor00)
- Long and repetitive, but solid layering job.
- Not keen on those jump placements that are supposed to emphasize vocals. Would rather emphasize some percussive hits instead.
[+.]

Hana Yuduki (jimerax)
- Great layering. Easy to follow and good flow.
[+]

Happy Happy Shining Star!! V2 (MrPopadopalis25)
- Very good flow and layering. Not too difficult either.
[+]

Hoax (Midnghtraver)
- A lack of pitch relevancy, but that's not too major of a problem.
- M33, found the layering change here a little hard to follow at first.
- M47, when you throw in 16ths here, they're slight difficulty spikes. Especially with Beat 190 when you have that 8th jack going on [1] and [4] transitioning into a 16th staircase pattern.
- Jumps at the end of the file feel a little too over emphasized, but I guess it's okay because it adds layering variation and interest.
- Layering is passable. Like to see tweaks to that 16th part I had an issue with.
[+?]

Leaves in the Wind (iironiic)
- Beat 133.5, I'd underlayer it as a single trill rather than a jump-trill. It's a slight difficulty spike, despite being easy to hit.
- Same deal with the [12][34][12] trills later on in the file.
- Great layering. Easy to follow and good flow. Rainbow grace notes and the minor minijacks might give beginners a tough time, but it's good practice.
[+]

Link's Awakening (Childhood Memories Remix) (MaxGhost)
- The jump layering threw me off slightly at first but I got it after awhile.
- Layering changes in this were good and added interest. Might throw some beginners off though, so you gotta be careful about it.
- Straightforward, and well layered. Interesting to play to say the least.
[+.]

Louder than Thunder (qqwref)
- Good flow and well layered. Interesting to playthrough.
[+]

Love, The Elephant (MarioNintendo)
- Upbeat and well layered. Good flow and easy to follow.
[+]

Maintenance Bot (woker-X)
- Upbeat and well layered. Good flow and easy to follow.
[+]

Minimal Effort (Thatskier)
- Completely offsync. Wrong note intervals.
- Needs major reworking/revamping.
[-]

Minuet In G (Reshiram)
- Piano chords were well layered. Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Morning Grory (bmah)
- Well layered and easy to follow. Wouldn't have done this any differently as an easy chart, lol.
[+]

Oliver (OneHandNow)
- M13+, you layer the bass and that other noise on the same notes which is weird. It'd be better to differentiate the two as two different jump patterns rather than layering as if they are the same sound.
- M16 is way too sudden of a break it disrupts the flow. Should've kept layering up until M17 for a better transition.
- M28+ you stop layering that drop sound with jumps. I found that weird and inconsistent when nothing really changed up in the song.
- M33+ the 8th jacks don't seem to fit well. Broken up 8th stream with those jumps would be better suited IMO.
- M41+, another way too sudden and awkward of a break that disrupts flow. There's also a huge difficulty and layering density inconsistency once you start ignoring sounds and jumps.
- Beat 190.5, the 16th minijacks are pushing it for difficulty spikes.
- Beat 221+ missing 4th jumps?
- M61+ the 32nds are also pushing it for difficulty spikes. Stick with jumps to represent the drop.
- Overall, layering wasn't too bad but there are a lot of inconsistencies such as what you're following and the jump usages. There's no real transition each time you switch up layering which just becomes really awkward to playthrough. Needs some reworking.
[?]

Op 71 IV Rondo Allegro (Thatskier)
- Completely offsync and notes aren't even relevant to the song.
- Needs major revamping.
[-]

Passage D (qqwref)
- Good layering. Thought there could've been a lot more jump placements for prominent piano chords though.
[+]

Pastel Candy (JSH)
- There needs to be more notes to layer vocals. What you have is hard to follow and I had no idea what half of the notes even went to since it's so spread out and sparse.
- Adding onto hard to follow, you keep phasing in and out of boring 4th notes to 8th vocals which is disorienting. I understand wanting to have variation in layering but for an easy file you want to make it as simple and easy-to-follow as possible.
- With all honesty, I think this needs reworking. Either thoroughly layer the vocals or stick to boring 4ths. Trying to merge both together doesn't seem to work out well.
[?]

Playing With Yourself (MaxGhost)
- Very first 12th jump is barely audible and seems completely random. I'd just get rid of it all together and leave the 4th jump alone.
- Beat 98, flow disrupting when you all of a sudden choose to ignore percussive element.
- The long jacks later on in the file -might- be a little much. Would rather keep them as mini-jacks or broken up stream.
- Some jump layering in the first half of the file is a little questionable for me.
- Layering was more or less passable. Wasn't too hard to follow and it had some nice variation and interest. Could use a little tweaking for above notes.
[+?]

Purity (T-Force)
- Would like to see the synth chords more thoroughly layered with jumps. Easier to differentiate the sounds you're following and it -feels- better to hit all of the synth chords as jumps IMO.
- Layering is passable. Just wish there were more jumps for the synth chords.
- Weird song cut.
[+.]

Rill Rill (Dr.Ozi Remix) (Coolboyrulez0)
- Offset was early by 0.04 (global offset issue probably).
- The very beginning I found the layering strange. Was hard to tell what the notes even went to on a first playthrough.
- Beat 137.5, missing a 12th right before the [34] jump.
- Beat 249.5, missing a 12th right before the [34] jump, again.
- Layering was alright. Easy enough to follow and it had some nice variation here and there.
[+.]

Sea Breeze (Silvuh)
- Good layering. Straightforward enough and easy to follow.
[+]

Shadows of my Lost Memories (Plan_Bsk81127)
- The 32nd rolls I would simplify to a rainbow grace note to make it much easier to hit and less of a difficulty spike.
- Layering is good. Easy to follow and straightforward.
[+]

Shu Kurimu no Uta (jimerax)
- Excellent layering. Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Skate or Die 2 (Reshiram)
- Offset was 0.04 too early (global offset issue probably).
- Layering is good.
- Emulord's file(s) were a little better though.
[<]

Skate or Die 2 [Beginner] (Emulord)
- Layering is good. Straightforward and easy to follow.
[+]

Skate or Die 2 [Light] (Emulord)
- More interesting compared to beginner (should be a given, lol)
[+]

Sonnenuntergang (Xayphon)
[+]

Space Entropy (cry4eternity)
- Picked up on a few missing synth jumps. Not sure if you left them out on purpose.
- Layering is passable.
[+.]

Steel for Pappa (OneHandNow)
- Beat 8.5, not sure why you didn't place a jump here.
- What you could do to make this less repetitive and boring is layer some rainbow grace notes to accent some of the prominent acoustic guitar hits that can't be layered with just a single jump.
- Repetitive, but it's good enough.
[+]

Subconsciousness (leonid)
- Awesome song. Well layered and straightforward.
- Ending will probably throw people off.
[+]

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691)
- The broken up percussive jump layering I found a little strange.
- Great layering variation and interest. Made the song and file more enjoyable.
[+]

The Degredation of the Soul (Silvuh)
- Straightforward and easy enough to follow.
- Empty beginner chart?
[+]

Town Theme 1 (Reshiram)
- The pitch relevancy in this is quirky.
- Weird song cut.
- Layering is good.
[+]

Tutti Frutti Summer Love (Dossar)
- Good layering. Straightforward and enjoyable to playthrough.
[+]

Until Tomorrow [Light] (bmah)
- Great layering. Enjoyable to playthrough.
[+]

Your Thoughts Disgust Me (nois-or-e)
- Good layering. Easy to follow.
- Nice consistency with the percussive layering.
[+]

Yukitsukiyashou (leonid)
- The 12th jump chains are definitely not all that beginner friendly. Especially with the 12th jacks formed.
- A little bit too hard for this batch (definitely the hardest submission in the batch).
- The layering is good and interesting though. Save this for the regular batch.
[?]

Niala

AN: hi again, have some notes. I'm more than willing to elbaorate if you have a problem with it, don't be afraid to ask just because I'm the FFR Simon Cowell. :3
P.s. I was super lenient with this batch, questions comments concerns to me and not in the batch thread otherwise I'll just ignore it.

45 (SHORT EDIT) - (nois-or-e)
[+?]
Not very dynamic, the idea of stepping solely a main synth melody doesn't really appeal to me, particularly if the PR is the same for a lot of it.

ABOVE THE COULDS [CUT] - (nois-or-e)
[+.]
[<]
Not much to say about a 1, but I really think difficulty 1's are unnecessary, so the other file gets the edge.

ABOVE THE CLOUDS - (cry4eternity)
[+]
Short but I liked it, it was interesting and compelling to play.

ANOTHER DAY - (bmah)
[+.]
The file overall is pretty solid, but the area starting at measure 35 is weak in comparison, the jacks seem incredibly barbaric, and you're missing a lot of arrows. If this get's accepted fix that area up please.

BITMAPSTAR - (Zerigdsx18)
[+.]
Feels a little undersaturated with all the long breaks, but it was alright.

BOTU1 - (MarioNintendo)
[+.]
I'm sad to say I expected a bit better from you, this is just okay.

BREAK FAST - (OneHandNow)
[-]
Between the rainbow-fest, poor pattern choices, and random jumps it's really poor. IIRC this is your second simfile, or something like that, you might consider a bit of coaching, or read up on one of the guids, so that you understand the basics next time, I'm always happy to lend a hand if you need it.

CARROTS - (Yo Man I'm Awesome)
[?]
For a first file it's not bad. I think the main issue with this file is there are a lot of arrows stepped to not really any specific sound. There are ghost notes, and missing arrows as well. It could really use cut, as well.

CHIMES - (Thatskier)
[-]
Inccorect BPM.

COUTING SNOW - (0)
[+.]
lol cool idea, it's short which is kinda annoying, but cute I like it.

DANCE TRIGGER - (XCV)
[+?]
The difficulty spread is really wide in this file, it goes from a 3 to a 1 to a 7 to a 4 to a 2... etc. It's all over the place. I think this could have been done better.

DARLING - (JSH)
[?]
This could have been done a lot better. Most of those 12ths aren't actually 12ths. Lots of quirks in the music to work with, too, which would make it a lot more fun to play.

DEADLY DAYDREAM - (leonid)
[+]
Sadly this is like a 10 and can't be accepted for this batch (okay maybe a 9 but still.) I liked the file, though. A little jump heavy I'd say but I'm content.

DING DONG SONG - (DossarLX ODI)
[+]
Not perfect but more than satisfactory for this batch, well done.

ENDLESS HANDBAG IN ASIA - (MaxGhost)
[+?]
I think the problem with this is the song and not the file. They don't mesh well together, and there's an issue with consistency.

EULOGY FOR NICK GALVEZ - (Emulord)
[?]
First of all, there's a lot of empty space at the start which is a huge turn off, and it goes on for a long time afterwards, I think you should consider cutting this big time. This song isn't really suitable for an easy file, either, there's too much going on and stepping any two layers would probably 'cause it to be too hard no matter what you do.

FALL INTO NIGHT - (0)
[?]
Is that it? Easy files don't really matter if Kayla and AJ's kid could sightread AAA them, doesn't help new players improve by playing interesting and balanced files.

FINDING A WAY - (00Razor00)
[+.]
This one deserves some notes:
-First of all, it seems to me that you were a bit afraid of overstepping, which is reasonable given it's an easy song batch, but you downstepped it just a tad too much.
-I think what this file really lacked was structure, trying different layering schemes and seeing what works best to give that file the feel that you're playing the song, not just arrows timed to the song.
-Overall it was actually pretty good, though, fairly fun, but significant improvements can be made.

HANA YUDUKI - (jimerax)
[+.]
Feels undersaturated but it's nice nonetheless.

HAPPY HAPPY SHINING STAR!! V2 - (MrPopadopalis)
[+]
VERY good. I'm impressed what you did with it, a couple little areas that I thought were iffy, but really it was great. Also add an 8th note at the end or I'ma keel juuuuu! D:

HOAX - (Midnghtraver)
[?]
You should really get points deducted for mislabeling your file... Anyway, I really like the song for an easy file, but you need to cut it and give it more dimensions, right now it's just the melody line at any given point of the song. Also, there's like a 25 measure break in the file please don't do that. Finally, that roll at the end has no place being there.

LEAVES IN THE WIND - (iironiic)
[+]
A couple little sync whoopsies but pretty cool in general. I didn't like that you tried to sync those 32nd jumps to 32nds instead of just leaving them the natural grace notes, it feels too orchestrated.

LINK'S AWAKENING (CHILDHOOD MEMORIES REMIX) - (MaxGhost)
[+?]
The main thing lacking in this file is some sort of structure. It jumps in and out of stepping sounds at the start of a phrase for what seems like "just to change it up."

LOUDER THAN THUNDER - (qqwref)
[+]
First of all, amazing song, nice to have something like this coming into the game now. There were times where I felt you "missed the point," per se. Like you were stepping everything but the vocalist and it took focus away from the song instead of immersing you into it.

LOVE, THE ELEPHANT - (MarioNintendo)
[+]
I'm glad there's a comma in that title... Anyway, you seem to have the same problem as most, with being afraid of stepping too much in fear of making it too hard. There were some areas I could tell were stylistic differences, but, for example, the 16th blips at the start you negated wouldn't have affected the file so much that it would have raised the difficulty, and not stepping them makes you feel like something is missing.
P.s. commas are the difference between "watching my little sister showering and going to bed." and "Watching my little sister, showering, and going to bed."

MAINTANANCE BOT - (woker-X)
[+?]
PFFFFT HAHAHAHAHA 'dat song XDD. Definitely not your best work, the jumps are strangely placed, and there seem to be a lot of ghost notes. A fixer-upper, if you ask me.

MINIMAL EFFORT - (Thatskier)
[-]
Incorrect BPM.

MINUET IN G - (Reshiram)
[+.]
Bleh, uninteresting but at least it's well done. For some reason, people seem to think easy files need to be really short, too...
Also, I'd prefer if you did the slowdown at the end with BPM's instead of coloured arrows to show that it's just the tempo slowing down, not that the tempo is staying the same and the notes are mistimed.

MORNING GRORY - (bmah)
[+]
Typo? <--(nope.) Anyway, ME GUSTA @_@. I really liked this. The only thing that I found to nag about ('cause I like to nag) is the difficulty spread. IMO your low (when the drums cut out) wasn't low enough and your high (when the drums were in) wasn't high enough. Admittedly that'd be probably impossible to do well when making a file of this difficulty... regardless. :P

OLIVER - (OneHandNow)
[?]
How are you and Break Fast the same person? Anyway, started out really cool, and quickly turned messy, and got progressively messier. Instead of making up patterns, you should focus on stepping the sounds that are there, and layering them in correctly, the file would have turned out a lot better that way.

OP.71 IV RONDO ALLEGRO - (Thatskier)
[-]
Sorry bro, you need to get those BPMs down before you can start stepping.

PASSAGE D [LIGHT] - (qqwref)
[+?]
I like the idea of doing a light version for this, but it feels empty and has issues with whether or not to step the left hand of the piano. All in all, just monotonous and lacking anything to make me want to accept it.

PASTEL CANDY - (JSH)
[?]
This file lacks structure a lot, instead of having a scheme of what to step, there are just basic arrow spreads thrown in in an attempt to make it easy. The easiest thing to remember is to step the music, you still could have made an appropriate difficulty while giving the sense of playing the song instead of playing random arrows.

PLAYING WITH YOURSELF - (MaxGhost)
[+?]
This is pretty okay. You have some mistimed arrows, but there are few. The biggest problem is continuity and layering with it. There are times where you had jumps on the first repeat of something and got rid of them the second time for no reason, or if you did a jack one time and forgot about it the next time. Overall it's pretty okay, but I'd like to see it improved before let ingame.

PURITY - (T-Force)
[+?]
Abrupt ending is abrupt. Take a better cut and step the rest well and this would likely be accepted, because there's nothing bad about what you have now.

RILL RILL (DR.OZI REMIX) - (Coolboyrulez0)
[+]
Very nice file, a few arrows that I'd say are missing even if you left them out purposely, but all in all very good.

SEA BREEZE - (Silvuh)
[+.]
You know, given it was understepped I still thought it was fairly well done. I think you could have made it ~just~ a tad fuller, instead of cutting so many arrows, it would have made for a better chart, but IMO fine as is.

SHADOWS OF MY LOSE MEMORIES - (Plan_Bsk81127)
[+.]
Ended very randomly haha. Um, I really dislike this idealism that easy files means finding something with essentially quarter notes and just stepping the quarter notes. Even if it's done well, it's not particularly fun because there's no variance in the steps... Still it's well done and meets a lot of my criteria for a file, so you get a light accept.

SHU KURIMU NO UTA (jimerax)
[+]
Cute, liked the song, the file fit it quite well. As I've said countless times in this, I believe a few extra arrows would have rounded it out nicer, but I'm quite content with this.

SKATE OR DIE 2 - (Reshiram)
[+.]
Short but effective for it's length, was relatively happy with this.

SKATE OR DIE 2 [BEGINNER] - (emulord)
[+.]
[<]
I'd pick this over the light chart, but I feel Reshiram's represented the song better.

SKATE OR DIE 2 [LIGHT] - (emulord)
[+?]
[<]
Again, Reshiram's file represented the song better.

SONNENUNTERGANG - (Xayphon)
[+?]
The main thing that jumped out at me for this file was jump choices were all over the place, at first it seemed that chords would be jumps, and then it was bass notes are jumps, and back again. Sticking with 1 base representation per phrase would make a stronger file.

SPACE ENTROPY - (cry4eternity)
[+]
Attaboy, good file. A few missing jumps it seemed but I'm happy with this.

STEEL FOR PAPPA - (OneHandNow)
[+]
Just shocking how you go from one end of the spectrum to another haha. This was amazing. Fun, really got you into the music. The timed notes at the end could have been done a little better, but hey I'm not expecting perfection. Well done.

SUBCONCIOUSNESS - (leonid)
[+]
I really liked this a lot more than your original version of it. One thing that I think would have really improved it is if you had opted to step the snares instead of the bass kicks, would have been a little more representative of the music. Otherwise, it's good.

SUNLESS DAYBREAK - (psychoangel691)
[+.]
HEY I STEPPED THIS TOO 8D. Your rendition is quite good, the PR isn't very good, though. Good job keeping it intersting for the entire file, it's hard to do with something as repetitive as this song, but I wasn't bored, for sure.

THE DEGREDATION OF THE SOUL - (Silvuh)
[?]
Nice effort but I think you missed the mark. Stepping easy songs is to give new players a foundation of how to play the game, and there were quite a few sections in this, read: the intro and DNB sections, that had a lot of touch to decipher arrow placements. I don't think it's suitable for ingame play.

TOWN THEME 1 - (Reshiram)
[+.]
I'm not sure what to think of this. On one hand, what you have stepped is theoretically correct, and the simplicity of the music fits the file nicely. On the other hand, there's no dynamics to the file, it's literally 60 seconds of the same pattern. I'm very tentative to accept something like this, but I think I can let it slide...

TUTTI FRUTTI SUMMER LOVE - (DossarLX ODI)
[+.]
Should have gone on until the start of the next verse IMO, but I suppose on FFR that'll be a cute ending. Overall, pretty fun and kinda cute, but a few added/missing arrows seemed to throw me off a bit. I like your style, thought, for beginner stepping.

UNTIL TOMORROW [LIGHT] - (bmah)
[++]
Incredibly solid, and ++ for best file in batch. This is the only file I feel wasn't afraid to step itself, instead of just understepping everything, fantastic job.

YOUR THOUGHTS DISGUST ME - (nois-or-e)
[+?]
This was simplified too much, and it's very repetitive. Not something I'd like to see ingame.

YUKITSUKIYASHOU - (leonid)
[+.]
Took me like 15 minutes just to type the title of the song... The intro is a bit repetitive because you opted to step constant 12ths for a lot of it, but the file is well put together. I'm afraid, however, it might be a bit too hard for this batch as well. I'd also like to say I respect how just because it was an easy files batch you didn't opt to step everything like a 2, you opted to step the music regardless.

psychoangel691

45 (Nois-or-e) [+.]

Would like to see the bpm doubled to kill of the blue note syndrome like ending. Otherwise no real complaints from me.

Above the Clouds (Nois-or-e) [<]

I liked cry's a bit better but if JX is cool with a light and standard of this song then this is perfect for the light/beg.

Above the clouds (cry4eternity)[+]

Another Day (Bmah) [+]

Nice easy chart I liked the song a lot too

bitmapstar (ziergdsx18) [+]

Botu1 (Marionintendo) [+]

Break Fast (OHN) [?]

For being new to stepping this file is actually pretty good. Your bpm is wrong though :/ also this chart is def too hard for the easy batch but I'd say fix up the sync for the next batch and try it for that. It's a fun chart.

Carrots (Yo Man I'm Awesome) [?]

I can't really judge the chart properly because the sync is way off.

Chimes (Thatskier) [-]

Unknown artist? Also what are the steps going to?

Counting Snow (0) [+]

Such a cute file XD

Dance Trigger (XCV) [?]

Your jump placement is in and out. The difficulty is kinda unbalanced as well. I'm also pretty sure the 16th stream makes the chart too difficult for the easy batch.

Darling (JSH) [+]

Deadly Daydream (leonid) [?]

Didn't play all the way through. Looks like a good file but it's at least an 8 just from the bit that I played.

Ding Dong Song (Dossar) [+.]

The only thing bugging me is you go in and out of what you're following which I think might be a little confusing for a newer player.

Endless Handbag in Asia (MaxGhost) [+]

Eulogy for Nick Galvez (Emulord) [+?]

I really don't like that huge gap that has no steps to it. Perhaps a cut to the song? The song does kinda drag anyway.

Fall into night (0) [+]

Finding A Way (00Razor00) [+]

Hana Yuduki [+]

Happy Happy Shining Star!! V@ (MrPopadopalis25) [+?]

I think this file is just a little too difficult.

Hoax (Midnghtraver) [+.]

Pretty good chart I'd really suggest a cut though. There's like a really empty spot, I'd probably cut there somewhere. Also the roll at the end is a bit mean for the difficulty.

Leaves in The Wind (iironiic) [+]

Link's Awakening (MaxGhost) [?]

A bit too difficult for the easy batch.

Louder than Thunder (qqwref) [+]

Love, The Elephant (MarioNintendo) [+]

I think this might be pushing the difficulty a little bit. But good chart.

Maintenance Bot (Woker-X) [+]

Minimal Effort (Thatskier)[-]

Are you using ctrl R to step? Again the steps don't really seem to go to anything and if you're using ctrl R that could be why.

Minuet IN G (Reshiram) [+]

Morning grory (bmah) [+]

Oliver (OHN) [?]

Again not a bad chart but too hard for the easy batch.

Op 71 IV rondo allegro (That skier)[-]

Same as the other 2

Passage D (qqwref) [+]

Pastel Candy (JSH) [+?]

Don't know what you're following most of the time. I think you switch around but it's hard to tell.

Playing with yourself (MaxGhost) [+.]

Just a little iffy on the longer jacks for difficulty reasons.

Purity (T-Force) [+.]

I really liked the song and enjoyed the chart then all of a sudden abrupt end -_-

Rill Rill (coolboyrulez0) [+?]

I feel this is more of a 7 but I'm not 100% if the other judges think it's fine difficulty wise then it's fine with me.

Sea Breeze (Silvuh) [+]

Shadows Of My Lost Memories (Plan_B) [+.]

Gah all the songs/charts I'm really liking end up stopping abruptly :/

Shu Kurimu no Uta (jimerax) [+]

Skate or Die 2 (Reshiram) [+.]

Skate or Die 2 [beg](Emulord) [-]

Blue note syndrome........

Skate or Die 2 [light] (Emulord) [-]

Again blue note syndrome......

Sonnenuntergang (xayphon) [+]

Space Entropy (cry4eternity) [+]

Steel for Pappa (OHN) [+]

Subconsciousness (leonid) [+?]

Again a good file but I think this is more of a 7. If the other judges or JX is okay with the difficulty then I'm fine with this file.

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691) [#]

The Degredation of the Soul (Silvuh) [+]

Town Theme 1 (Reshiram) [+]

More abrupt stopping.....

Tutti Frutti Summer Love (Dossar) [+.]

Again switching what you're following might be confusing for easy players but not bad.

Until Tomorrow (bmah) [+]

Your thoughts disgust me (nois-or-e)[+?]

This could really use some variation.

Yukitsukiyashou (leonid) [?]

Way too hard for the easy batch

TC_Halogen

All times are listed in seconds. I've italicized reviews for songs that I think might be slightly too hard for the batch.

45 [Short Edit] (nois-or-e)
Rating: [+.]
Two things irk me about this file - 1.) while relevance is always a nice thing to have, it would have been alright to just shift the notes over for the first half rather than repeating the same exact pattern over and over again until the breaks come in, and 2.) I personally think the BPM should be doubled (in this case, all of the notes at the end would be 4ths). Other than that, this is alright.

Above the Clouds
(nois-or-e)
Rating: [<]
I personally dislike this file simply because it seems like this file was made with absolutely no effort, it's just 4th notes spaced a measure apart sans the ending. Far too little for this song in my opinion; however, it can very well serve as a new difficulty 1 chart.

(cry4eternity)
Rating: [+]
Much better. I actually appreciate this chart since it's able to keep relevance to the music, without entirely being lackluster. The ending percussion could have been filled out at 52.398 to the end (or just the bass drum, even). 24th flurry is a little bit of a spike, but not too bad.

Another Day (bmah)
Great song, great chart. Those 8th jacks in the middle of the song will surely trip up some players. Fairly dense for an easy chart, but not too hard because the patterns are a bit repetitive.

bitmapstar (Ziergdsx18)
Slight PR issues (obviously not a big deal for an easier chart), and fairly repetitive -- patterns could have mirrored rather than using the same exact ones again. Not a big deal, though. Is that jump at 114.763 seconds intentional? I ask because it's the only one in the melodic portion of the song.

botu1 (MarioNintendo)
Another chart where the PR could have been done slightly better, but it's perfectly fine the way it is now; there's enough detail for people to pay attention to in the melodies. Nice job incorporating the timpani hits without completely butchering your chart layering.

Break Fast (OneHandNow)
Rating: [-]
It's so odd. Your BPM couldn't be more off than it is. However, looking in DDream, you have MANY of the steps placed properly in accordance to the waveforms, which is actually quite amazing considering that your BPM is so off. Because of the amount of effort you gave for putting this chart together, I'm going to give you a proper offset and BPM: try using 155 BPM with an offset of -0.024. Here, you should be using mostly 4th/8th notes.

Carrots (Yo Man I'm Awesome)
Your offset is WAY off. Nothing I can really say because I can't entirely figure out where the first step is supposed to belong with your chart stepped the way it is.

Chimes (Thatskier)
Looks like you Ctrl+R'd in Stepmania. Try manually placing steps to the music rather than tapping out the notes.

Counting Snow (0)
Nice color gimmick. Very short, but I hope that's not a problem because you did a good job charting this.

Dance Trigger (XCV)
Rating: [+?]
Your offset is early by roughly 5/192nds of a note (or 45 milliseconds). Those 16th runs are a huge difficulty spike, and the chart seems to waiver from being extremely simple (see: 38.911 seconds) to extremely difficult (see: 52.197 seconds) - try to level it out a bit more. There's also a few scattered minor misrhythms in the chart.

Darling (JSH)
Rather than using a stop at the beginning of the chart, use the offset function to make your note land where it needs to. Chart was a little drifty; perfect sync seems to be at 121.206 BPM with an offset of -0.137. Almost every instance where you use a 12th note should be replaced with a 16th note. Aside from the misrhythms, it seems like you captured the song well. Add a bit more variation in patterns and this song will be good to go! (Side note: I really like this song; perhaps your easier chart can accompany my possibly more difficult chart in the future?)

Deadly Daydream (leonid)
File is great. Unfortunately, this is too hard for the easy batch.

Ding Dong Song (DossarLX ODI)
Couldn't get an offset check on this. The switching back and forth between instruments/vocals is good for keeping variation, but it could get a little confusing for players trying to keep up. In general, the syncopation in this chart is understandable, even through the switching. I'm not a fan of the 24th swing notes; the sound can easily be represented without the 24ths and it makes the chart a little bit less awkward as a whole.

Endless Handbag in Asia (MaxGhost)
Offset should be -0.750, with a BPM of 90.000. Your current chart is slightly drifty. Anyway, another chart that seems to have switching between instruments, but in this case, the switch doesn't change difficulty too much and is easily distinguishable. Decent job with pitch relevancy, and while -technically- the colored patterns following the flute/strings are incorrect, they are close enough to be tasteful. I really wish you could have found a way to vary the chart a little bit more, but it's fine once the sync changes are applied.

Eulogy for Nick Galvez (emulord)
Offset should be -0.024. Chart is a little lacking in song representation. There's a gap from 25 seconds to 33 seconds where you could have found an excuse to use something like the bass drum to fill the gap through all of the chaos. The section that comes right after the huge break is actually not bad; maybe you could use single taps like you do a little later? This actually isn't too bad but it could use a little more consistency and variation as sections change.

Fall into Night (0)
elegantshortsong.swf - no seriously, this file is really nice, just a little too short

Finding a Way (00Razor00)
...as an easy file, this REALLY appeals to me. Even with the varying densities in the file in comparison to the file, it doesn't feel like anything is missing. It's far from perfect in terms of chart accuracy, but the chart plays very well as a whole. I don't think the section at 122.447 seconds could have been done any better, honestly.

Hana Yuduki (jimerax)
Very good. I think you could have pulled off some more 16ths in the vocals without dramatically increasing the chart's difficulty, but it's great the way it is.

Happy Happy Shining Star v2 (MrPopadopolis25)
200 BPM 8th note jacks don't sit well with me in an easy chart. This is a bit fast, too, although I think this would fit well on the higher end of the 6s...tough to call.

Hoax (Midnightraver)
Rating: [?]
Offset should be -0.029. Normally, I would say to add pitch relevancy to the introduction, but being that it's nearly 30 seconds long, mirroring/flipping doesn't really solve the repetition problem. Cutting the song might alleviate this. When the percussion comes in, it would be a lot better to syncopate to the prominent snare to avoid the same quarter note pattern; nearly a minute of that is far too long. The 3/8th note sync to the bass instrument is a nice touch; that part is definitely worth keeping. The usage of small 16th note runs is a little risky in this chart considering that there is nothing even remotely close to that in difficulty outside of those sections. 132.443 might make for a good spot to end the song, since the song continues to carry the same basic concept.

Leaves in the Wind (iironiic)
Rating: [++]
Minor offset adjustment to -3.086 syncs nicely for me. Sync is very clean, and as an easy chart, it's very demanding of a player's attention with all of the gradual speed changing. Layering is smooth, and the PR, while not direct or globally relative, is noticeably correct within sections, rather than multiple sections. Just like 00Razor00's file, it's not perfect in terms of accuracy, but this file plays very nicely as a whole. Well done!

Link's Awakening [Childhood Memories Remix] (Maxghost)
Minor offset adjustment to -2.106. This file starts off pretty light but then picks up to a pretty heavily layered easy file; you go in and out from having jump/tap 8th notes to having just normal 8th notes and it's a little awkward, at least to me. The difficulty discrepancies could have easily been avoided to make a smoother, easier chart.

Louder than Thunder (qqwref)
Minor offset adjustment to -0.135. Chart seems to deviate in layering scheme (back and forth from piano to bass drum/hi-hat? a little hard to tell), but it's not major at all. Solid chart.

Love, The Elephant (MarioNintendo)
Very minor offset adjustment to -6.064. Good use of syncopation in this chart, although I really do not like 58.426-81.699; the song seems to be more dull than previously let the chart is quite a bit more aggressive. Other than that, this is fine.

Maintenance Bot (woker-X)
Nothing erroneous about the file at all; this file is a bit tricky but probably could fit at the high end of the 6s.

Minimal Effort (Thatskier)
Set your offset to -0.134; that syncs up to the kick of the song. Try viewing previously made charts so you can understand how certain rhythms pertain to certain songs, and practice using offsets.

Minuet in G (Reshiram)
Sync/offset slightly off (this isn't in regards to the color notes, either) for the chart; if I have your permission, I'd like to replace it with the resync I did while making notes for this - this does include the colored notes being removed at the end.

morning grory (bmah)
Minor offset adjustment to -1.738. Simple and clean. Good chart overall.

Oliver (OneHandNow)
Minor offset adjustment to -2.074. Not a bad chart - lacking in relevance but alright in terms of accenting in layering. However, this is at least a 7 in difficulty with all of the streaming. Not too bad considering that you're a first time stepartist.

Op.71 IV Rondo Allegro (Thatskier)
Offset adjustment to -0.062. Incorrect BPM; as a result, chart doesn't follow the music.

Passage D (qqwref)
Minor offset adjustment to -5.410. File is great as a beginner chart. Captures what is important to the newer players, ignores everything else. There's a few missed piano notes (not sure if they're intentional), but they aren't a big deal.

Pastel Candy (JSH)
Removed the stop from the beginning and changed the offset to -0.133. This chart is really strange in terms of what's being followed; it goes back and forth from vocals to just regular syncopation, which is slightly distracting. This chart also uses 12th notes instead of correctly placed 16th notes. It's another one that could use a few tweaks to make a good easy chart.

Playing With Yourself (MaxGhost)
Minor offset adjustment to -1.724; minor BPM adjustment to 94.70 BPM. Chart is alright; not fond of the overall structure, but it does make sense.

Purity (T-Force)
ABRUPT ENDING >=( chart is another one of those not-quite-perfect but very well structured as a whole

Rill Rill [Dr. Ozi Remix] (Coolboyrulez0)
Offset adjustment to -0.083. I think this file might be slightly too hard for the batch, but I'm not sure. I really hope not because it's a very interesting file, even with how toned down it is. Also, if this does get in, consider this a Standard chart because I would not mind making a tougher chart for something like this.

Sea Breeze (Silvuh)
The master of easy file creation strikes again. Nice job condensing the chart and still leaving pitch relevancy while doing it. The nice thing about this file is, even as easy as it is, it still has a decently tricky section for players who are learning how to play, and in that section, there's also proper pitch. Great easy chart.

Shadows Of My Lost Memories (Plan_Bsk81127)
Offset adjustment to -0.062. Grace notes are risky to put in an easier chart, and you actually made them a little tricky to hit by not putting the first two notes on the same hand (in essence, splits are more likely). PR is a bit shotty in some spots, and I'm mentioning this because it did seem like you were trying to go for good layering while keeping consistent pitch. Chart is pretty decent, otherwise. Random little thing: the 16th note at 47.553 should be a 64th note (I'm sorry, I'm too nit-picky ).

Shu Kurimu no Uta (jimerax)
Very nice PR. However, I personally find the file a little lacking in accenting, which makes it play the same for a good majority of the song.

Skate or Die 2
(Reshiram)
I got my best sync results at an offset of -2.065. This song has some really choppy samples, and the sync goes all over the place no matter what constant BPM you use. The chart seems fine, but it might be a good idea for a real resync of this chart to happen before this song goes in game.

(emulord)
Beginner
Blue note syndrome. Incredibly lackluster, just a few notes sprinkled about.

Light
Blue note syndrome. I do like the attention to PR in the introduction, but that was all that appealed to me; the rest of the chart was fairly plain.

Sonnenuntergang (Xayphon)
Pay a little more attention to where the chords come in for the first half of the chart. The second half is missing notes, but it's a little bit betetr that you missed notes for the second half in an effort to not boost difficulty too high.

Space Entropy (cry4eternity)
Slight offset adjustment to -0.230. Nice job on the layering; you also did a good job of varying the chart up a bit - it definitely looks intentional when changes happen.

Steel for Pappa (OneHandNow)
Slight offset adjustment to -0.060. Not bad at all. I'd like to see the BPM cut in half for the entire song, and I'd also like to see a bit more consistency on the harder guitar strums. There's not really a consistent pitch relevance in the song, but the accenting is fairly consistent.

Subconsciousness (leonid)
Slight offset adjustment to -0.829. Unfortunately, I think this is a 7.

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691)
Filled with relative PR that changes in different sections, which is alright in an effort to avoid repetition. 8th note mini-jack at 24.194? Solid chart.

The Degredation of the Soul (Silvuh)
What's being followed in the first 10 seconds of the chart? For a chart that's usually only following 4th/8th notes, the 16ths are out of place, but that's just my opinion. Otherwise, this is alright - I've definitely seen better easy files from you.

Town Theme No. 1 (Reshiram)
Offset adjustment to -2.084. Nothing erroneous, nothing special, just some PR on an easy file.

Tutti Frutti Summer Love (DossarLX ODI)
Back and forth instrument switching again, just like the other file. The out of nowhere 16th run concerns me for an easy file, but the thing that's really glaring about this is the song cut.

Until Tomorrow (bmah)
Slight offset adjustment to -2.053. This song is pretty sweet, sounds very disco-esque. Diggin' those triples, by the way - lower level charts need to start introducing triples to players so they don't get completely destroyed when moving up. Nice work.

Your Thoughts Disgust Me (nois-or-e)
The chart is incredibly repetitive, even though the song takes fairly noticeable changes. BPM changes could add a bit more of structure to the chart (like when you go in and out of the percussion), too.

Yukitsukiyashou (leonid)
Another great file. Also another one that's way too hard. 12th jumps at 120 BPM isn't exactly something a low level player will be prepared for.

Last edited by bmah; 11-7-2011 at 07:30 PM..