View Single Post
Old 12-1-2020, 11:44 AM   #1179
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 782: Róisín Machine by Róisín Murphy

Can you tell by how many albums I've been reviewing in a short span that I'm cramming the fuck out of finals right now? Undergrad wasn't that bad, but accelerated Master's programs are something fucking else I'll you that right now, I really hate my life. Thank god for being autistic, ADHD and having on-and-off hemicrania because it means I can get some nice fucking extensions.

When I looked at the cover of this album I thought that this was going to be an album by a drag queen or trans woman, but then I googled it and this is a cis woman. Is this cultural appropriation? I really have no idea, and the disco vibe of this whole thing makes that question even more confusing. Nothing from this album comes off as mocking or like she's stealing from a culture or anything, and apparently she has a hardcore gay fanbase so I guess that makes it all okay. I dunno, I'm just a cis male. Is this a music review or a Tumblr post?

Anyways, I'm going to compare this to the most obvious choice from this year, that being What's Your Pleasure by Jessie Ware. Both are throwbacky disco-influenced albums, both are being hyped up by the usual corners of the internet you'd expect and both are a similar total run length. Anyways, this album isn't as good, but it's still pretty good I suppose. These tracks are stupid long and not all of them are hits, so it's nowhere near as consistent as that last album. But when it hits, it's great fun. Anyways, back to not doing my research!

Best Track: We Got Together
Rating: 7/10 (can I pull a Fantano and say a "light 7")

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote