Thread: Windows 10
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Windows 10

I made a few big ass posts on facebook about my experience upgrading and my first thoughts. I've been gone all day working but I will say that I'm very impressed by Windows 10. Nadella said maybe last year or so that Microsoft loves Linux, and the new features in Windows 10 make it apparent that they are trying to bridge the gap between Linux and Windows communities, and interoperability. Resource management, a command line pseudo-package manager, new scripting capabilities, multiple desktops: it's very apparent that these were included specifically for dual-boot Linux users.

I'm especially excited for Server 2016, I thought Server 2012 was great and a lot of the features from 2012 are expanded on in 2016, including improved virtualization in the form of Hyper-V. WE'RE GETTING NATIVE CONTAINERS AND CLUSTERING, SON.

As far as general usage goes, the GUI looks really great. The start menu works really well, and it even looks good, a very solid step "back" in terms of user friendliness. The minimal theme works well. Microsoft Edge, aka "IE but totally not IE," is actually a great browser. It has no addon or extension support as of now though, so if you browse using things like Greasemonkey and Ad-Block Plus, you'll be sticking with Firefox until later on.

I only have a few issues so far. Cortana isn't actually all that great; it was touted as Microsoft's answer to Siri, but she doesn't actually talk. I know that may not sound very important, but trust me, Apple did the "robot secretary" thing right by giving her a voice.

This is a large one, but there isn't too much transparency when installing Windows 10 when it comes to data collection (or privacy). When finally getting to the user prompted portion of the install, you can select the default settings, or you can hunt on the screen for the option to customize settings. If you care to do so, I would recommend changing all privacy options to minimize data collection. Microsoft will still do some data collection, you didn't read the Privacy Statement but accepted it anyway so they're legally allowed to, but they give you the options to minimize. If you're really really paranoid about Microsoft tracking your doujin downloads, do some snooping around in the registry to disable it completely, or use a VPN without logs. It's that simple.

And here's something I'm sure people will be happy about. If you don't like Windows 10, you have a month to rollback to your prior OS, whether that was 7 or 8.1, for free.

But overall, I think it's a great step forward for Microsoft. It's better than Windows 7 in all areas other than customization (theming, making your computer look like a hotdog stand, etc), and it's better than Windows 8 in all areas.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote