Thread: D8 Deb8
View Single Post
Old 08-4-2019, 05:38 AM   #50
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 12th Official Tournament

If supporting a D8 in the tournament is really needed, my suggestion to go about it would be the following:
- The D7 and D8 song lists would be overlapped so that round 1 in D8 will be the round 1 + n in D7. This means D7 will get n unique easier files and D8 will get n unique harder files.

- D8 round 1 would only happen when round 1 + n is happening for every other division. The tournament as a whole would go for n more weeks until D8 finishes.
The benefits I see from this approach:
- From a logistical perspective, getting n new super hard files is more reasonable than 8. For this tournament in particular it also gives time to figure out specifics of how things will work for D8 in general.

- One of the main benefits of the tournaments is fostering activity in the site as a whole. At least judging from twitch activity on top players' channels, D8 seems to be at a level where their performance can drive attention by itself in the proposed extra n weeks of the tournament. This would work like various sports and e-sports tournaments where the last rounds give the spotlight for individual matches when only the best players are still around.

- n can be changed as time passes and the top players get better.
That being said, it's not like I really support the creation of D8 in the first place. D7 is still fairly small and on past tourneys a good amount of people signing up were retired players nowhere close to their peak. Supporting a new division with a dozen players who play ffr once a year to wreck the hardest files feels silly.

I'd rather have D7 reworked so that the prizes cover a larger range of players than the other divisions. Maybe keep the same prizes based on round reached, but increase the number of players still around on each round. And also increase how fast the difficulty picks up after each round to accommodate rising skill levels.

And I agree that moving goalposts would mess up pretty badly with the historical understanding of what divisions even mean. That's not to say I support or not having divisions in the first place, that's a topic for another time.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote